fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by 3Y » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
Win95, I am not one of them.

So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different

way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
managers.

Jon Spain

Dept. Computer Science, University of York.

fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by Jon Sno » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

> When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
> fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
> Win95, I am not one of them.

> So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different

> way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
> where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
> managers.

> Jon Spain

> Dept. Computer Science, University of York.

I am unsure what your asking here but assume you want to find the different
window managers on your system. Do this:    find / -name "*fvwm*"  and also
man fvwm
You should find all the info you need to change win managers. For example
on my system the fvwm stuff is in /var/X11R6/lib/fvwm/ and the xinit stuff
in /var/X11R6/lib/xinit/ To make fvwm start up put .xinitrc in your home
directory. You can use the system examples located in the above
directories.

By the way I also think the idea of copying win95 is a bad idea as it
implies that linux needs to copy other OS's ideas. I can see the argument
that it may make it more comfortable for windows users to start using linux
however if this demonstrates the need for a better win manager then the
best thing to do is to write a win manager that exceeds the capabilities
and ease of use of all others on the market.

Jon Snow

fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

>> When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
>> fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
>> Win95, I am not one of them.

>> So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different

>> way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,

In light of this, one thing you might like is simply to get rid of the task
bar and have fwvm95 iconise applications to the desktop.  Just getting rid of
the taskbar all by itself does the trick - you no longer think you're on win
95 when looking at the screen.

Add "xearth" as a default background, xdaliclock with the shape extension
running off the bottom, and it's pretty cool.  Minimalistic, but cool.  And
*definitely* not looking like a copy of win95....

Try it and see if you like it.  All can be done by changing appropriate lines
in "TheNextLevel"'s config files (/etc/X11/TheNextLevel/.fv*)

HTH,

Sita

fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by Phil DeBecke » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

> When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
> fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
> Win95, I am not one of them.

> So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different

> way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
> where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
> managers.

I chose not to install FVWM95 or TheNextLevel, and just installed fvwm
(the older one, v1.24r).  It should be on your system also; assuming
everything is configured correctly you could just start fvwm from your
.Xclients file.  The default configuration is pretty horrible, though.
I found some good ones at http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman/fvwm.html.  (My
personal one looks a bit like the example with the 3dpixmaps
collection).

-Phil

fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by Colin McFady » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

>> When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
>> fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
>> Win95, I am not one of them.

>> So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different

>> way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
>> where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
>> managers.

S*it, go to ftp.x.org and grab ctwm.

I too was horrified when I saw the eerie Win95 looking taskbar in fvwm.
--

Carleton University Computing and Communications Services
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA K1S 5B6

fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

Post by J » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

better yet, go to www.afterstep.org and download AfterStep,
It resembles the Next OS Next Step.

1. fvwm95-2 : Win95 is born again!

I have recently installed Red Hat Linux 4.3 on my PC.

When I first loaded X windows I found that the default manager is
fvwm95-2.  I am sure that some people like the idea of X looking like
Win95, I am not one of them.

So my question, because fvwm95-2 is just fvwm2 configured in a different
way there must be the original fvwm2 configuration files somewhere,
where, the documentation describes them as being seperate windows
managers.

Jon Spain

Dept. Computer Science, University of York.

2. dslreports.com

3. fvwm95 or fvwm95-2

4. MAil server for Solaris

5. fvwm95 core dumps immediately (try again)

6. sendmsg and recvmsg and binary compatibility from 3.2 to 5.0?

7. Building Glibc 2.1.2 again, again and again

8. wksh

9. Splitting c.o.l Again, and Again, and AGAIN!!!

10. Again, again, and again

11. LinuxMall spams again and again and again...

12. fvwm95-2.0.43a

13. fvwm95-2...can't run it...