/dev/fb0: no such device

Post by adam albrig » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I am trying to set up xwindows using the FBDev frame buffer device -- when
i try startx, xfree86 (ver.3.3.2) tells me that it is using the FBDev
driver, but then gives:

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/fb0 (No such device)

?
i did make /dev/fb0 with 'mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0' like the instructions
said, and made a link called 'fb0current' in case it was looking for that,
but still no luck...  any ideas?
thanks,
--adam albright

                                Kiccho manussapa.tilaabho
Adam Albright                   kiccha.m maccaana.m jiivita.m

                                kiccho buddhaana.m uppaado

/dev/fb0: no such device

Post by Michael McConnel » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I am trying to set up xwindows using the FBDev frame buffer device -- when
> i try startx, xfree86 (ver.3.3.2) tells me that it is using the FBDev
> driver, but then gives:

> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/fb0 (No such device)

> ?
> i did make /dev/fb0 with 'mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0' like the instructions
> said, and made a link called 'fb0current' in case it was looking for that,
> but still no luck...  any ideas?

Try compiling in frame buffer support into the kernel. You will need to
switch on 'Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers' in 'Code
maturity level options' also.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                     [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available

/dev/fb0: no such device

Post by adam albrig » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

thanks for the suggestions -- actually, I already did recompile with frame
buffer support, and the prompting is on by default, so that option was
also selected...
any other hints?
thanks!
--adam

In article

> > Hi,
> > I am trying to set up xwindows using the FBDev frame buffer device -- when
> > i try startx, xfree86 (ver.3.3.2) tells me that it is using the FBDev
> > driver, but then gives:

> > Fatal server error:
> > xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/fb0 (No such device)

> > ?
> > i did make /dev/fb0 with 'mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0' like the instructions
> > said, and made a link called 'fb0current' in case it was looking for that,
> > but still no luck...  any ideas?

> Try compiling in frame buffer support into the kernel. You will need to
> switch on 'Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers' in 'Code
> maturity level options' also.

> -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                       [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
> Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available

/dev/fb0: no such device

Post by adam albrig » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a brand new ATI 128 16meg card, which does seem to be part of the
problem.  But apparently at least one other person has gotten this card
working with the frame buffer device, so I thought I'd give it a try.  It
seems frustratingly close to working, but I can't get past this last "no
such device" problem!
thanks anyway,
--adam

In article

Post by Michael McConnel » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> (A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
> comp.os.linux.setup)

> thanks for the suggestions -- actually, I already did recompile with frame
> buffer support, and the prompting is on by default, so that option was
> also selected...
> any other hints?
> thanks!

What vdeo hardware do you have? I know it didn't work for me before I swapped
my Cirrus card for an ATI. It's quite possible your card doesn't have
hardware VESA2 support.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                     [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available

1. /dev/fb0 device does not exist

Hello again everybody

I'm back with some questions on linuxppc-1999 on the 43P-133 (7248-133).

When I try to start the fb_dev X-server or try to use the fbset command,
only get the error
/dev/fb0: No such device

ls -l /dev/fb0 gives me
crw----rwx   1 ingvar   root      29,   0 Jan 28  2000 /dev/fb0

so the device file should exist.

Does this mean my kernel has no support for the frame buffer device?

I run linuxppc-1999 with kernel 2.2.6-16aprep, with no changes on the
kernel since the installation.

Ingvar

Ingvar Hagelund             Phone: (+47) 22740512

Adress: Ringshusveien 10,   N-1176  OSLO, NORWAY
Experience GNU/Linux!

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~ingvarha/43p

2. Aliases

3. "open /dev/fb0: no such device" errot with XFree 4.1

4. "Can't get my mouse to use its 3 physical buttons!"

5. device /dev/fb0 does not exist?

6. Xappeal crashes XF86 3.1

7. open_framebuffer: failed to open /dev/fb0 (No such device)

8. Missing libX11kb, how to get it...

9. tape device bulebud01 / 57 <> mt status /dev/rmt/3n /dev/rmt/0n: Device busysy?

10. banshee and /dev/fb0

11. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

12. Framebuffer /dev/fb0

13. Q: using /dev/fb0 for console IO