Windows MIME Mail Reading under Linux?

Post by Barry L. Bo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings!

          Has anyone determined what utilities are needed to MIME/decode part of
a mail message that was received that had some binary image encoded in one
of the Windows operating systems?

     I have Windows 98.  I almost never run it.  I don't WANT to run it!  :-)
I have Red Hat Linux 6.0.  I run Linux all the time!  :-)

     (I only got Windows 98 for games.  Also, I have a number of things
throughout my house that connect to a Cyclades 16-port serial card that runs
fine under Linux, and not under Windows.)

     I even have VMWare, and it's working wonderfully!  I will gladly boot
Windows 98 under VMWare (as I've done occasionally for a few things), so
long as I can run Linux primarily!  :-)

     I have received a couple of email messages that clearly have a binary
image encoded into it, such as:

<<>>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01BF5C18.78B8A300
        filename="Van-Ultimate-Card View.jpg"
<<>>

<<>>
--part1_0.829f1e2.257efc67_boundary
<<>>

     The .exe file above is from a trusted source, and I wouldn't mind
running it in Windows 98.  But, many things, such as the .jpg, I can view
within Linux just fine.

     I suspect there is a conglomeration of utilities under Linux which
can decode this and place it in the intended file.

     Has anyone figured this out?

     Thank you!

     Barry
--
Barry L. Bond, Software Engineer            | Barry L. Bond

72235,1530 (CIS)               <- personal  | KSC, FL  32899

Windows MIME Mail Reading under Linux?

Post by Spik » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Greetings!
>      Has anyone determined what utilities are needed to MIME/decode part of
> a mail message that was received that had some binary image encoded in one
> of the Windows operating systems?

The package you need to install is called metamail.
That contains all the required tools, and all MIME compliant mail readers in
linux call that.

|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |     I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel    |
|             in            |     and get out the puncture repair kit!"      |
|      Computer Science     |        Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf          |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

Windows MIME Mail Reading under Linux?

Post by Barry L. Bo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>The package you need to install is called metamail.
>That contains all the required tools, and all MIME compliant mail readers in
>linux call that.

     Thank you very much!  I'll look into it!

         Barry
--
Barry L. Bond, Software Engineer            | Barry L. Bond

72235,1530 (CIS)               <- personal  | KSC, FL  32899

Windows MIME Mail Reading under Linux?

Post by John McKo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>Greetings!

>  Has anyone determined what utilities are needed to MIME/decode part of
>a mail message that was received that had some binary image encoded in one
>of the Windows operating systems?

        [snip]
I use Linux all the time. Most of the time, I use Pine for email (no flames,
please - it works for me). Whenever I receive something that Pine can't
handle, such as html formatted or MIME encoded, I use Netscape to read
it. I've never had a problem doing it this way. Granted Netscape is slow
and a pain at times, but it's always worked for me. I'm running 4.7.

John

Windows MIME Mail Reading under Linux?

Post by Barry L. Bo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi John!

>I use Linux all the time. Most of the time, I use Pine for email (no flames,
>please - it works for me). Whenever I receive something that Pine can't
>handle, such as html formatted or MIME encoded, I use Netscape to read
>it. I've never had a problem doing it this way. Granted Netscape is slow
>and a pain at times, but it's always worked for me. I'm running 4.7.

     Hey, you're not going to get flames from me!  Everyone should use
whatever they want!  :-)

     Thank you.  I hadn't thought about using Netscape for that.  I have
not used Netscape mail, but I'm aware it has it!  I may look into it!

     Barry
--

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Greetings!

>           Has anyone determined what utilities are needed to MIME/decode part of
> a mail message that was received that had some binary image encoded in one
> of the Windows operating systems?

>      I have Windows 98.  I almost never run it.  I don't WANT to run it!  :-)
> I have Red Hat Linux 6.0.  I run Linux all the time!  :-)

>      (I only got Windows 98 for games.  Also, I have a number of things
> throughout my house that connect to a Cyclades 16-port serial card that runs
> fine under Linux, and not under Windows.)

>      I even have VMWare, and it's working wonderfully!  I will gladly boot
> Windows 98 under VMWare (as I've done occasionally for a few things), so
> long as I can run Linux primarily!  :-)

>      I have received a couple of email messages that clearly have a binary
> image encoded into it, such as:

> <<>>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01BF5C18.78B8A300
>         filename="Van-Ultimate-Card View.jpg"
> <<>>

> <<>>
> --part1_0.829f1e2.257efc67_boundary
> <<>>

>      The .exe file above is from a trusted source, and I wouldn't mind
> running it in Windows 98.  But, many things, such as the .jpg, I can view
> within Linux just fine.

>      I suspect there is a conglomeration of utilities under Linux which
> can decode this and place it in the intended file.

>      Has anyone figured this out?

It's called Messenger and comes with Netscape

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

1. Mail Exchange PC (MIME) <-> Solaris (MIME)

Hi mail-freaks!

I would like to be able to exchange my Mails with PC users. I use dtmail

from the Solaris 2.5 Common Desktop Environment, which generates mails
in MIME format. The PC users sent mails also in MIME format.
Nevertheless I have problems with the attachments.

  * A PC generated mail with a MS-Word document attached, has only
    "Attachment"  an name for the Word document in my UNIX environment.

  * Forwarding this mail back to the PC will cause a loss of the name
    of the Word document. The name is changed to "Attachment" in the
    PC-Environment too.

  * A UNIX generated mail with an attachment shoult keep the name of
    the attachment, even if it's sent to the PC.

After a study of rfc2045-2049 and rfc2183 and various testmails, here
is what I've figured out:

Here is an example of a PC generated header of an attachment:

   ------ =NextPart_000.......

Forwarding this mail with dtmail changes the header to

-> The name on the attachment is lost.

I seems to me, that the PC tracks the names of attachments in the
[optional] header field Content-Disposition, while dtmail expects
it in the [optional] field Content-Description.

My Question is: Is there a chance, to make my PC aun my UNIX
environment understanding each other? I mean both speak MIME. It
is annoying, to reveive mails with multiple attachments, all
called "Attachment".

My ideas for a solution:

  1) Insert a filter in the mail receiving process in the UNIX
     environment. This could be achived by the .forward |
     -mechanism. Does anyone know suitable filters?

  2) Some hidden options or patches to tell dtmail, not to rewrite
     the PC generated header info in case of the forward?

  3) The use of an other user mail client in the UNIX environment
     is NOT suitable, except it can handle the Solaris defined
     attachment format "x-sun-attachment" as well as the MIME
     format.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

rfm

2. Sorry for the mistake

3. How to read MIME-encoded mail?

4. Cache for noname?

5. gentoo

6. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

7. while printing the .ps, .tex garbage print coming...........

8. Is there a mail program that can read mail (as root) from /var/spool/mail/xxx?

9. Mail reader with POP3 & MIME for Linux & X

10. Mail, MIME and Linux

11. mail client for windows with enhanced features running on a linux mail server?

12. could not open mime types log file /etc/httpd/etc/mime.types.