RH6.0 web server cannot be accessed from Internet

RH6.0 web server cannot be accessed from Internet

Post by David Wal » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a new RH6.0 installation running Apache 1.3.6.  I am able to connect
to it fine across my LAN, browsing the web pages without problem.  But, I
cannot access it from the Internet (I tried at a friend's place, then I just
signed up for the AOL trial and I cannot connect).  But, my previous
computer, which is running RH5.2 with the same Apache, it accessible from
the Internet.  I can connect out to the Internet fine from the RH6.0 box
(using Netscape, I can connect anywhere I want).

Is there some security option in RH6.0 that is blocking the HTTP/FTP
packets?

The only thing I see different so far is that my RH5.2 box and the RH6.0
have different output from netstat -r.

The 5.2 box (which works fine) shows three entries, one for the loopback,
one for default, and one for my gateway address.

But 6.0 shows an additional entry which includes as a 'destination' the
box's IP address, with a netmask that is fully specified as 255.255.255.255
on my eth0 interface.  Is that a problem?

Any help would be appreciated, since the reason for the upgrade was to have
a better web server, and instead it cannot be used yet!

Thanks,
David
myEastside.com

Post by Patrick M. Geaha » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: I have a new RH6.0 installation running Apache 1.3.6.  I am able to connect
: to it fine across my LAN, browsing the web pages without problem.  But, I
: cannot access it from the Internet (I tried at a friend's place, then I just
: signed up for the AOL trial and I cannot connect).  But, my previous
: computer, which is running RH5.2 with the same Apache, it accessible from
: the Internet.  I can connect out to the Internet fine from the RH6.0 box
: (using Netscape, I can connect anywhere I want).

How are you connecting to the Net?  Cable Modem, DSL, what?  Can you ping
the box?  Telnet to it?  FTP to it?

--

USENET Quote of the Week:  "I'm still pondering whether i should
pre-emptively register 'I can't believe it's not Jesus' as a name for a

RH6.0 web server cannot be accessed from Internet

Post by David Wal » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> : I have a new RH6.0 installation running Apache 1.3.6.  I am able to
connect
> : to it fine across my LAN, browsing the web pages without problem.  But,
> : cannot access it from the Internet (I tried at a friend's place, then I
just
> : signed up for the AOL trial and I cannot connect).  But, my previous
> : computer, which is running RH5.2 with the same Apache, it accessible
from
> : the Internet.  I can connect out to the Internet fine from the RH6.0 box
> : (using Netscape, I can connect anywhere I want).

> How are you connecting to the Net?  Cable Modem, DSL, what?  Can you ping
> the box?  Telnet to it?  FTP to it?

I'm connected via DSL. My LAN is Fast Ethernet. I know that the 5.2 box was
using the 3COM 3C905 while the 6.0 has the new 3C905b (but 6.0 supposedly
supports that one now too).  I can ping/telnet/ftp/http access to it fine on
my LAN.  I'm not sure how to go about testing ping-ability from outside
since I don't have a good way to be outside my LAN and get Internet access.

I can access the 5.2 box without problem from AOL dialup using the IP
address of that box, which is connected over the same DSL and on the same
LAN hub.  When using the IP address of the 6.0 box, I cannot connect to it.

The only change I see is that additional entry in the netstat -r output
which shows the 6.0 box's IP address, which is certainly different and odd
to me, but I don't know how it got there.  linuxconf only shows the real
gateway, which is the .1 IP address in my group and is a box on the other
end of the DSL (operated by my ISP).  Because I can access the 5.2 box okay
over the Internet, I don't believe it has anything to do with my ISP.

Very odd, but must be something in my configuration or an oddity with the
3C905b card (like the support is not as good as I'd like).

David

1. Web server cannot be accessed from other clients on Internet

Hi,

I have setup Linux (with 2 NICs) as a router, my eth1 use the Virtual IP
192.168.1.1
and the other eth0 get its IP by connecting to the Internet through PPPOE.

I have setup firewall using iptables, allowing ports like  21,80 connection
from outside.
FTP works perfect from outside, inside or the Linux itself.

I have also setup a web server on the Linux. I can access it by IP address
(e.g. http://203.123.1.1)
(using the IP assigned by ISP through DHCP/PPPOE) by using a browser
on my internal LAN or on my Linux.
However, it cannot be accessed from other clients on the Internet.
Do anyone have any ideas why?

N.B. outside can ping or FTP to my Linux, but web access fail.
I haveever disbled the firewall but my web server still could not be
accessed from outside.

Simon

2. nntpcache

3. cannot access my web from the internet

4. Diamond Stealth 32. Pixel dust

5. Cannot See Web Server On the Internet

6. linuxconf problems

7. Ho to access a private LAN web server from internet?

8. 1024x786 Interlaced mode on XF86

9. Network access OK but server cannot use internet

10. accessing web server from internet

11. cannot access web server from outside

12. Cannot access Linux Web Page or ping linux server from different subnet.

13. accessing web server from internet