Logging in over Serial or Modem?

Post by Hubertus Alexander Hani » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I would like to be able to log in to my Linux machine by dialing in
via modem with a MS-DOS terminal programm. In other words if I dial in
I want the Login: prompt to be displayed. How would I do this?

I would also like to connect another PC running Windows with a serial
to my Linux machine so if I load up a the Windows terminal programm
and hit eneter a couple of times i get a login: prompt

I would appreciate any help with these two quests
cheers
Hubertus

 Hubertus Alexander Haniel            ,,,             Tel.: (+44)-1799-527227
                                     (o o)          Mobile: (+44)-385-395511
--------------------------------oOOo--(_)--oOOo-------------------------------

Post by Michael Qu » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I would like to be able to log in to my Linux machine by dialing in
> via modem with a MS-DOS terminal programm. In other words if I dial in
> I want the Login: prompt to be displayed. How would I do this?

> I would also like to connect another PC running Windows with a serial
> to my Linux machine so if I load up a the Windows terminal programm
> and hit eneter a couple of times i get a login: prompt

I am also interested in this.  Has there been any response, Hubertus?

Thanks,
Michael

Logging in over Serial or Modem?

Post by Andreas Christo » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to be able to log in to my Linux machine by dialing in
>via modem with a MS-DOS terminal programm. In other words if I dial in
>I want the Login: prompt to be displayed. How would I do this?

>I would also like to connect another PC running Windows with a serial
>to my Linux machine so if I load up a the Windows terminal programm
>and hit eneter a couple of times i get a login: prompt

>I would appreciate any help with these two quests
>cheers
>Hubertus

Have a look  into your /etc/inittab - file.
You probably find some sample lines like the following there:

# Serial lines
#s1:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS0 vt100
#s2:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS1 vt100

# Dialup lines
#d1:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS0 vt100
#d2:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS1 vt100

These define the ttys to be occupied by getty-processes
(the getties lead the user to the login-process).

Uncomment the right combination of lines for your needs.
For example: Windows-PC hardwired to ttyS0
             Dos-PC connected by modem to ttyS1 => uncomment s1 and d2

Reboot your system.

For more information see "man agetty" "man inittab" .

Bye,
Andreas.

Andreas Christoph
Alexanderstr. 292
26127 Oldenburg

Post by bill mccarth » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> > I would like to be able to log in to my Linux machine by dialing in
> > via modem with a MS-DOS terminal programm. In other words if I dial in
> > I want the Login: prompt to be displayed. How would I do this?

> > I would also like to connect another PC running Windows with a serial
> > to my Linux machine so if I load up a the Windows terminal programm
> > and hit eneter a couple of times i get a login: prompt

> I am also interested in this.  Has there been any response, Hubertus?

> Thanks,
> Michael

Take a look at the Serial-HOWTO. It will get you started.
--

LI N U X

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. dissappearing thread

3. logging in via modem and serial port..

4. All of a sudden I can't start any KDE applications as user

5. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

6. HELP, users cannot log in and su does not work

7. getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

8. need help re printing problems

9. Serial port to serial port with null modem cable

10. Problem using USB to Serial adapter(GUC232A) for a serial modem

11. Serial Port/Internal Modem on Boot Up failure - Help No Modem!

12. Serial external ACCURA modem 9 pins on the modem side cable spec needed.

13. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log