Grub with 2 hard drives

Post by Sheldon D. Stoke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm using mandrake 7.1 and a 40 gig and a 13 gig hard drive each
attached to a built in ata66 controller on my motherboard.  Previously I
had my 40 gig drive partitioned up with windows 98 on the primary DOS
partiton, and 5 linux partitons after that.  I would run grub and type:

find /boot/grub/stage1

and it would come back with (hd0,4)

I'd then type:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

and it would install just fine.

I got a great deal on the 13 gig drive and I have the 40 gig drive
dedicated to windoze, and the 13 gig is going to be all linux.  I
installed mandrake 7.1 (for the built in ata66 support) and I can boot
into it jsut fine with the boot floppy.  But I can't seem to get grub to
install.  The 13 gig drive is all ext2 partitions.

I type:  find /boot/grub/stage1

the floppy light comes on and nothing is returned but a prompt.

I then tried to force things using:

root (hdo,0) and it finds that this is a fat partition.

when I type: setup (hd0)

it says file not found.

I tried running grub without a floppy (grub --no-floppy) and I don't get
a floppy light then a do a "find" but it still doesn't find anything.

I tried a forced install using the "install" command without luck either.

I've been poking at the literature and searching dejanews and I haven't
found anyone describing a problem like this or a solution.

I'd love to hear what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Sheldon

1. GRUB Booting and Hard Drive MBR Troubles

Alright, I installed Linux Mandrake 7.2 on my slave hard drive the other
day, and let the install put on GRUB as the boot loader.  Needless to
say, the install ran smoothly, UNTIL I rebooted.  Then I was greeted by
the GRUB command line.  From what I understand, I'm supposed to see a
menu.  So, I did a little research.  (hd0) is the Windows drive, and
(hd1) is the Linux drive; (hd0,0) is supposed to be the Windows boot
drive, and (hd1,0) the Linux boot drive.  Upon issuing a "geometry
(hd0)" or "geometry (hd1)" command inside the GRUB interpreter (?), it
informs me it doesn't know what filesystem is on either of those
partitions.  This is not a problem with those partitions, since both are
accessible when booting from floppy to the appropriate OS.

It got to the point where I just said, "Screw it," and removed the Linux
drive completely.  Supposedly, to "uninstall" GRUB, I just boot into DOS
and issue a "fdisk /MBR" command from c:\.  Well, I tried that (several
times, in fact), and it never seemed to affect the boot process.
Without the drive, I just kept getting a "stage1 hard drive error" when
I booted.  From what I've read, this message is from Linux and its boot
procedure, not from the BIOS, and yet, I can't seem to get fdisk to
change that.

So, I'm at the end of my rope, here.  I have no clue as to how to
rectify this situation from the Linux end of things, which is why I'm
writing this message.  Does anyone know how to either 1) get GRUB to
recognize those partitions, or 2) get GRUB the hell out of my MBR?

2. Bad ip address

3. GRUB and 2 hard drives

4. eth 0/1: + Printer Perms

5. Unable to mount IDE hard drive - need GRUB help

6. can linux see Matsushita CD ROM?

7. Windows XP, Linux 7.2 GRUB boot loader using 1 Hard Drive

8. Non-obvious Non-FAQ questions

9. GRUB fails to load WinXP after hard drive defragmentation

10. Installing GRUB boot on cloned hard drive

11. GRUB won't load Linux now that I've switched hard drives

12. GRUB won't boot 2nd Hard Drive

13. Booting from a hard drive partition w/grub or lilo