A backup script and backup strategies for linux/Unix

Post by Ralph Winslo » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I have recently bought a 2.1GB SCSI hard disk, and am trying to find
> an optimal backup strategy for it. The idea is to use two HD's. One
> serves as a backup and is backed up daily, automatically at night.
> The backup disk is turned on electrically at night if the computer is
> inactive for an hour. It is preferable if the format of the backup is an
> identical copy. The source disk is mounted read-only prior to backup. The
> system is usually on all the time. Are there any scripts for doing these
> and checking which files if any have been updated?

> thanks a lot.
> lbliao

cpio has a -since (or something, RTFM) argument, but as I've noticed in
other posts, you intend to use a lot of space for DOS, I'm not too sure
how that would work on DOS slices. A few tests should let you know
whether you'll need to go to some commercial product. I'll probably cook
up a perl job for that once I get budget space for a DAT drive. If you
can wait that long, let me know if you want a copy.

Post by Bruce Smit » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I have recently bought a 2.1GB SCSI hard disk, and am trying to find
> an optimal backup strategy for it. The idea is to use two HD's. One
> serves as a backup and is backed up daily, automatically at night.
> The backup disk is turned on electrically at night if the computer is
> inactive for an hour. It is preferable if the format of the backup is an
> identical copy. The source disk is mounted read-only prior to backup. The
> system is usually on all the time. Are there any scripts for doing these
> and checking which files if any have been updated?

There are disadvantages to backing to fixed disk.
What happens if your system disk crashes during the backup?
No system, and only a partial (useless) backup!
Ever hear of Murphy?  Recommended reading!  :{)

Or what if something physically happens to your computer? (or it's
stolen)
We had a water leak over one that distroyed the whole thing.
If both drives are destroyed, you lost everything.

Tapes are nice because you make multiple backups and put them
in different places offsite.

Or what if a file is deleted that you need, but you don't notice it
until after the backup is done?  With tapes you can save monthly/weekly
copies for as long as you like.

If your tape is to slow, you could backup disk to disk, and then
copy the backup disk to tape while people are using the system.

Just a few things to think about . . .

System Administrator / Network Administrator
Armstrong International, Inc.
Three Rivers, Michigan  49093  USA

1. BACKUP Strategy and Software for UNIX and Novell

I currently backup a G40 (4mm) & G50 (4mm) with fbackup, G40 (4mm) with tar, G40 (4mm) with
tar, T500 (8mm left and right & 4mm) and a G50 (8mm & 4mm) with Omniback. All the tape are Dat
type. Backup is Tues to Sat.  The 12 Dell 433TE Novell head office systems are also backed up
daily plus each of the 11 branch offices do their own backup.  I have to come up with a
solution to the above keeping the following in mind: compatible with previous backups, ease to
administer, size of data, time required to backup (and in the case of Novell, the time required
to recover one or more files daily), etc, etc. The solution might be a seperate backup computer
with a few carrousels with 8 mm dat tapes or is someone using Digital Linear Tapes?  I would
appreciate any information anyone can provide.
Thanks in advance.

(416)-868-7056
(416)-868-2070 (Fax)

2. IP address into shell variable

3. Solstice Backup (4.2.x): to run a script before/after backup

4. Catching WINCH in curses.

5. afio backup scripts incremental backup problem

6. POLL: OSS Application Availability (or: If you could have one OSS software application currently unavailable....)

7. Help - Looking For Backup Scripts - Backup 1.0 Problems

8. Redhat 6.2 broke!

9. Linux backup strategy

10. Backup strategies for linux.

11. Linux and IDE/SCSI Drives / 8mm Backup / Irwin Backup / Digiboar

12. Backup under Linux (Re: Dump Backup failed!!!)

13. Discuss: your filesystem backup strategy