How to trap output logs from xdm, kdm, startx, etc?

How to trap output logs from xdm, kdm, startx, etc?

Post by Jason Bon » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 09:18:57

How does one trap the output from xdm or kdm or startx or startkde?  It is
failing for some reason and without documentation, I am a loss to figure out
why.  Thanks much.

  Jason

How to trap output logs from xdm, kdm, startx, etc?

Post by jade.. » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 10:01:12

Try tail -f /var/log/message or other log files in that directory.

Quote:> How does one trap the output from xdm or kdm or startx or startkde?
It is
> failing for some reason and without documentation, I am a loss to
figure out
> why.  Thanks much.

>   Jason

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by bluste.. » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:20:15

Quote:> How does one trap the output from xdm or kdm or startx or startkde?
It is
> failing for some reason and without documentation, I am a loss to
figure out
> why.  Thanks much.

Try this:

$ startx 2>&1 > logfile

That should write all STDOUT (2) and STDERR (1) msgs to the logfile.

HTH
Bluster

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by James Richard Tyre » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 08:04:10

> How does one trap the output from xdm or kdm or startx or startkde?  It is
> failing for some reason and without documentation, I am a loss to figure out
> why.

My Xsession file has the following at the start:

# redirect errors to a file in user's home directory if we can
for errfile in "$HOME/.xsession-errors" "${TMPDIR-/tmp}/xses-$USER"
"/tmp/xses-$USER"
do
    if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null )
    then
        chmod 600 "$errfile"
        exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
        break
    fi
done

This would normally redirect the KDE start up messages to
"$HOME/.xsession-errors".

If you don't have it, you could add something like:

echo  >  ~/.xsession-errors
exec  >  ~/.xsession-errors  2>&1

Then you also need to be sure that kdm or xdm is being executed.

The last line of "inittab" passes control to something -- probably a script --
to start the process.

You can change this to:

x:5:once:/usr/bin/kdm

{where the number and the path might be different on your system}

and see if that fixes it.

JRT

How to trap output logs from xdm, kdm, startx, etc?

Post by bluste.. » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:31:57

TYPO :-(

should read

$ startx > logfile 2>&1

Sent via Deja.com