Please Help: Problems after recompiling kernel

Please Help: Problems after recompiling kernel

Post by Brendan Boyl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just recompiled my kernel for the first time and as is to be expected
I screwed it up somewhere.  I followed all the instructions and felt
pretty proud about it but now I can't find my cd burner anymore.  Kudzu
tells me on startup that it no longer exists.  When I compiled the
SCSI support I included all the Adaptec drivers but mine wasn't in the
list.  I have an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card.  Does anyone know which part of
xconfig  I need to reset to get my SCSI card back?  It is a dual
SCSI card and my scanner hangs off it as well so I have lost that too.
I'm running RedHat 6.2

Also I now get an error message at startup that says "fstype devpts not
supported".  I can't spot this fstype in the Kernel Configuration so any
pointers to that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Brendan Boyle
Shadowtech

Please Help: Problems after recompiling kernel

Post by Black Drag » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 23:46:13

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:24:12 +0800 in comp.os.linux.setup,

>I just recompiled my kernel for the first time and as is to be expected
>I screwed it up somewhere.  I followed all the instructions and felt
>pretty proud about it but now I can't find my cd burner anymore.  Kudzu
>tells me on startup that it no longer exists.  When I compiled the
>SCSI support I included all the Adaptec drivers but mine wasn't in the
>list.  I have an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card.  Does anyone know which part of
>xconfig  I need to reset to get my SCSI card back?  It is a dual
>SCSI card and my scanner hangs off it as well so I have lost that too.
>I'm running RedHat 6.2

>Also I now get an error message at startup that says "fstype devpts not
>supported".  I can't spot this fstype in the Kernel Configuration so any
>pointers to that would also be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks in advance
>Brendan Boyle
>Shadowtech

Did you configure the kernel scsi drivers as modules? If so, you need to
run depmod and modprobe, or manually load the modules with insmod.

--
Black Dragon

"Resist militant `normality' -- A mind is a terrible thing to erase."

Post by Brendan Boyl » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 12:19:10

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:24:12 +0800 in comp.os.linux.setup,

> >I just recompiled my kernel for the first time and as is to be expected
> >I screwed it up somewhere.  I followed all the instructions and felt
> >pretty proud about it but now I can't find my cd burner anymore.  Kudzu
> >tells me on startup that it no longer exists.  When I compiled the
> >SCSI support I included all the Adaptec drivers but mine wasn't in the
> >list.  I have an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card.  Does anyone know which part of
> >xconfig  I need to reset to get my SCSI card back?  It is a dual
> >SCSI card and my scanner hangs off it as well so I have lost that too.
> >I'm running RedHat 6.2

> >Also I now get an error message at startup that says "fstype devpts not
> >supported".  I can't spot this fstype in the Kernel Configuration so any
> >pointers to that would also be greatly appreciated.

> >Thanks in advance
> >Brendan Boyle
> >Shadowtech

> Did you configure the kernel scsi drivers as modules? If so, you need to
> run depmod and modprobe, or manually load the modules with insmod.

> --
> Black Dragon

> "Resist militant `normality' -- A mind is a terrible thing to erase."

Thank you, I recompiled the kernel without using SCSI modules and my CDRom
and scanner are back.

Brendan Boyle

1. Please help w/ problem after recompiling kernel 2.4.15

I have RedHat 7.2, and I was using kernel 2.4.14 without problems.
I recently compiled and installed kernel 2.4.15, and now, I have a problem.
The /boot directory contains only six files.
(1) vmlinuz-2.4.15
(2) vmlinuz (sysbolic link for vmlinuz-2.4.15)
(3) System.map-2.4.15
(4) System.map (symbolic link for System.map-2.4.15)
(5) kernel.h-2.4.15
(6) kernel.h (symbolic link for kernel.h-2.4.15)
When I issue the /sbin/lilo command, I get the following error.
Warning: /dev/hdc1 is not on the first disk
Fatal: open /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory
What went wrong?
I'm able to reboot, and kernel 2.4.14 loads fine.
However, what's going on?  How can I fix/repaire the problem.

--

I'm using the "NATO & International Aviation Phonetic Alphabet" in my email
address, so the spammers'll have to work a bit harder.  If you're having

2. Mysterious find spawning by itself?

3. Help please- recompiled 1.3.18 kernel wont boot....

4. SiS 6326 and Red Hat 5.2

5. Recompiled my Kernel, but X won't start anymore..help please!!?

6. accton - Linux accton - W95 Problem Found

7. Kernel Recompile Woes (any version), please help !

8. Q: srandom()

9. PLEASE HELP, Recompiled kernel now have error

10. error recompiling the kernel please help

11. Help please: Lost Iso9660 support after recompiling kernel

12. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel