Turning off "automatic" STARTX command at boot time?

Turning off "automatic" STARTX command at boot time?

Post by Larr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My RH install currently goes to Gnome immediately upon booting (I don't have to enter the STARTX command).  How do I turn this off so that it boots to the terminal window instead?

Also, is there a way to EXIT from Gnome back to the terminal session?

Thanks,
Larry

Turning off "automatic" STARTX command at boot time?

Post by Jay Trussel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

open up linuxconf (you can do this either in a terminal window or by
using
Gnome's "main menu" and going to system->control panel. You must be
root)
Click on miscellaneous services -> Initial system service
Set the default runlevel to Run level 3
Click accept, and you are all done.

Jay

Post by aflinsc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> My RH install currently goes to Gnome immediately upon booting (I don't have to enter the STARTX command).  How do I turn this off so that it boots to the terminal window instead?

take a look at /etc/inittab

Post by Patrici » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>My RH install currently goes to Gnome immediately upon booting (I don't have to enter the STARTX command).  How do I turn this off so that it boots to the terminal window instead?

>Also, is there a way to EXIT from Gnome back to the terminal session?

>Thanks,
>Larry

Larry
login as root of su
 edit /etc/inittab
 replaceid:5:initdefault: (default startup in X mode)
  with   id:3:initdefault: (default startup in textmode)
--
Good Luck
Patricia

http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux
http://beginnerslinux.org
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15
  5:43pm  up  1:27,  1 user,  load average: 1.44, 1.70, 1.51
Wed Jun 14 17:43:09 CEST 2000

Post by Thomas Homme » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >My RH install currently goes to Gnome immediately upon booting (I don't have to enter the STARTX command).  How do I turn this off so that it boots to the terminal window instead?

> >Also, is there a way to EXIT from Gnome back to the terminal session?

> >Thanks,
> >Larry
> Larry
> login as root of su
>  edit /etc/inittab
>  replaceid:5:initdefault: (default startup in X mode)
>   with   id:3:initdefault: (default startup in textmode)

Depends on your distro
in SuSE, you would have to replace id:3:... with id:2:...
You can also switch from X to a textmode console by pressing
Alt-Ctrl-[F1...F6]
Quote:> --

Post by John » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> My RH install currently goes to Gnome immediately upon booting (I don't have to enter the STARTX command).  How do I turn this off so that it boots to the terminal window instead?

> Also, is there a way to EXIT from Gnome back to the terminal session?

> Thanks,
> Larry

In your /etc/inittab file, change the following line to set your default runlevel (3 for text mode and 5 for graphical login):

change:
id:5:initdefault:

to:
id:3:initdefault:

Reboot and type startx to run Xwindows again.  Then you can just logout from the System menu to go back to text mode.

To get to a console from any desktop(without logging out of Xwindows) use Ctrl-Alt-F2 through F6 for console 2-6.

John