what is linux compiled under?

Post by Paul DeMar » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

        I just upgraded to slakware 3.1 and I'm not sure what it was compiled
under... I think a 486.... but not sure.... I have a Pentium, and was wondering
if there would be any difference if I recompiled the entire system to take
advantage of the pentium code...  If so how do you go about recompiling the
compiler to take advantage of this.... ????  Thanks for any help

                                                Paul

1. I am not able to compile Emacs 19.25 under Linux anymore

Hello All!

Well, a few weeks ago I installed Slackware 2.0.1 with Emacs 19.27 and I
finally got really frustrated with that version of Emacs, cause it takes so
long to start this Emacs. And I haven't figured out yet, what the reason for
this behaviour is.

So I thought "Why not install Emacs 19.25 again.", but the compiled version I
have at home doesn't run at all. The symptoms are, I can't edit anything cause
the cursor is jumping within a given line of text, some text is lost while
editing and so on. Ok, I said, then I compile Emacs myself for the first time.
(I thought it may be some problem with a new library or so.) The compilation
was ok, no errors or so at all and configure found all it needs too. But after
I started my self-made Emacs, I was shocked, cause the same errors as with the
binary distripution.

Ah, by the way, I compiled an Emacs without X-Support too. And I think it works
fine. (I haven't tested the version in deep, but I think it worked.)

So, if anyone can tell me how to make Emacs 19.27 startup faster or how to make
Emacs 19.25 run under Slackware 2.0.1, I would be very pleased and thankful.

See ya on the flipside,

  Oliver.

2. Newbie: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError when using readproc via JNI

4. UNIX Integration Dept. Mgr. - to $80K - US/NJ

5. adaptec 2940UW SCSI driver for LinuxPPC?

7. PowerStorm 3D30 Graphics Support?

8. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

12. I am si**y am I?