disabling r commands..(rsh, rlogin, etc..)

disabling r commands..(rsh, rlogin, etc..)

Post by Pierre Boivi » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

How do you disable rlogin?

Pierre Boivin, NB, Can
MCP, CNA

Post by Jamie Sike » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> How do you disable rlogin?

Comment the line which contains "rlogin" in /etc/inetd.conf and
don't comment such line in /etc/services as recommended by some.
That is unneccesary and would prevent you from using rlogin to
another machine.

1. rsh & disabling "rlogin"

Dear folks,

Due to security reason we need to block the ability of direct telnet or
remote login using root account. Every system administrator has to use su
command to become root. But by disabling rlogin in /etc/security/user we
lose the ability of using rsh command. As we have many control scripts
running from a central administration server this cause lot of headaches.

Do you guys have any idea how to achieve a (hopefully) secure system
without losing rsh capability ? Is there some kind of tool to circumvent
this ?

Thanks for any help.

KKT

2. Help !!! Many Questions !

3. want to make login/rlogin/rsh/etc auth flavor non-kerb

4. Tape Drive and FreeBSD

5. how to log userids from rsh, rlogin, etc.?

6. Disk a2 should really be RAWRITE'd?

7. Slow telnet/rlogin/rsh etc

8. Caldera problem

9. How do you allow root to rsh/rcp/rlogin/etc?

10. rsh like command with rlogin environment

11. Can't use any r commands out of host (rlogin,rsh,rcp)

12. rsh xterm -ls -e command doesn't see /etc/profile

13. rsh does not return: rsh -n spica /etc/init.d/autofs start ?