At Wits End ~~ New Kernel Hangs System

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

    Jim> At that point, everything stopped except for the fact that
    Jim> the screen will echo keyboard inputs.  Like a glutton, I did
    Jim> not edit lilo.conf to allow me to boot to the old kernel, and
    Jim> I do not have a boot disk on hand, so I'll have to come up
    Jim> with one somewhere.

Use the RH install disk.  Just say "linux root=/dev/WHATEVER" at the
boot: prompt.

At Wits End ~~ New Kernel Hangs System

Post by Jim » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Alright, I'm relatively new Linux user and I just spent the evening
rebuilding my Redhat 4.1 kernel (I upgraded to 2.0.30, added sound
support, switched a bunch of stuff over to modules, and enabled auto
module loading).  I meticulously followed the directions found in the
kernel HOWTO, the sound HOWTO, the readme that came with the new source
code and all the man pages I could find relating to modules.  After a
few attempts, I finally got everything to go smoothly.  I renamed the
old image, replaced it with the new kernel and reran lilo  I created a
file "rc.modules" which "rc.sysinit" will run if present.  "rc.modules"
has two lines:

/sbin/kerneld
/sbin/depmod -a

I then rebooted my machine, selected linux from lilo and happily watched
the new kernel load in its drivers, ... until it displayed the message:

vfs: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

At that point, everything stopped except for the fact that the screen
will echo keyboard inputs.  Like a glutton, I did not edit lilo.conf to
allow me to boot to the old kernel, and I do not have a boot disk on
hand, so I'll have to come up with one somewhere.

Make config, make zImage, make modules, make modules_install, etc. all
went swimmingly.

Could someone ~please~ help me figure out what I did wrong (besides
being over-confident in the new kernel)?  Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim