Linux and Windows 95

Post by Anthony Chapm » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello, I wanted to ask a few questions.
   Firstly, I have Windows 95 on a 2.5Gig hardrive and I
wanted to install Linux on a seperate harddrive.  I do not
want any Linux partition information written to the first
harddrive and I am going to use the second as a dedicated
ext2 filesystem.  I know that this can be done with LILO
being used as the boot loader, but how does this work?  If
the system BIOS has the boot sequence A,C and Linux is on D,
then how does LILO ever get read?  It would seem that the
BIOS would read the MBR of drive C and boot Windows 95 and
not even attempt to try to read  LILO off of the second
drive.
   Secondly, is Linux only capable of using modems that use
IrQ 3 or 4 because I have a Cardinal 33.6 modem that uses
IrQ 11 and I wanted to know if I had to change it so that it
would use either 3 or 4?
   Lastly, is there anyone who is using a Orchid Righteous
3D for Windows 95 and if there has been any problems using
the Linux drivers for their respective 2D card?
Thanks.

Anthony Chapman

Linux and Windows 95

Post by Christopher Lockwoo » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

The only way that lilo will get started is if it resides on the MBR of
your C drive.  If, as you say, you want NO linux info on drive C, then the
other option is to use loadlin to boot linux, after booting win95.

*****

U.K. College of Pharmacy

I prefer my coffee dark and bitter, so that it fits in well with the rest
of my life....
*****

> Hello, I wanted to ask a few questions.
>    Firstly, I have Windows 95 on a 2.5Gig hardrive and I
> wanted to install Linux on a seperate harddrive.  I do not
> want any Linux partition information written to the first
> harddrive and I am going to use the second as a dedicated
> ext2 filesystem.  I know that this can be done with LILO
> being used as the boot loader, but how does this work?  If
> the system BIOS has the boot sequence A,C and Linux is on D,
> then how does LILO ever get read?  It would seem that the
> BIOS would read the MBR of drive C and boot Windows 95 and
> not even attempt to try to read  LILO off of the second
> drive.

Linux and Windows 95

Post by Jim De » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Hello, I wanted to ask a few questions.
>   Firstly, I have Windows 95 on a 2.5Gig hardrive and I
>wanted to install Linux on a seperate harddrive.  I do not
>want any Linux partition information written to the first
>harddrive and I am going to use the second as a dedicated
>ext2 filesystem

You describe exactly the set-up that I have, so read on...

Quote:> I know that this can be done with LILO
>being used as the boot loader, but how does this work?  If
>the system BIOS has the boot sequence A,C and Linux is on D,
>then how does LILO ever get read?  It would seem that the
>BIOS would read the MBR of drive C and boot Windows 95 and
>not even attempt to try to read  LILO off of the second
>drive.

There are two ways (and if you read your own statement carefully,
you've already answered your own question):

1. When you configure LILO, tell it that LINUX is on the second hard
drive (/dev/hdb), and then write LILO to a floppy in A: drive. When
you boot your computer with the A: drive empty, it moves to the C:
drive and you get Win 95. When you boot the computer with your LILO
floppy in the A: floppy drive, you get LILO and depending on how you
configured it, you either get a chance to enter a boot paramater or go
directly to booting LINUX off of the "D:" drive.

2. When you configure LILO, write it into the Master Boot Record of
drive "C:". When the computer boots, LILO pops up and you enter one of
the labels you set up during configuration; for example, you might've
used "windows" to make it boot drive "C:" and "linux" to make it boot
drive "D".  This does make a slight modification to your C: drive but
does not violate your condition that you do not want partition
information on C changed.

For what it is worth, I use method number 1 above.

Quote:>   Secondly, is Linux only capable of using modems that use
>IrQ 3 or 4 because I have a Cardinal 33.6 modem that uses
>IrQ 11 and I wanted to know if I had to change it so that it
>would use either 3 or 4?

I believe it is possible. Check the Serial-HOWTO (and maybe even the
PPP-HOWTO).

--
Jim Dean

Linux and Windows 95

Post by Mani Daneshman » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

 Well, you have a couple of options...
First you can install LILO in the MBR of your WIN95 Disk, but I guess
you don't want to do that ... If you do inist of not putting anything
linux related on the Win95 disk, you can install LILO on the MBR of the
Linux Disk and then using the Linux FDISK command on /dev/hda (your
win95 Disk) set /dev/hda to a non booting partition with the 'a' command
(boot toggle) and then FDISK the /dev/hdb (your linux disk) as the
bootable partion with the 'a' command.  Or you can physically change the
disks setting your linux disk as the Master and your Win95 as the Slave
(IDE disks only for SCSI, make Linux disk's ID smaller than Win95 disk's
ID).  The FDISK command is basically deactivating your Win95 partition.
So initially your computer views the Linux Disk as c: but then after
lilo if you boot to Win95 Lilo allows you to accesss the Win95 partition
as C:
Hope that helps
Mani

Linux and Windows 95

Post by Alex Valentin » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have windows 95 and the system Commander. I was wondering if I could
run Linux without creating a seperate disk partition?

Linux and Windows 95

Post by Jon Martin Solaa » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I have windows 95 and the system Commander. I was wondering if I could
> run Linux without creating a seperate disk partition?

Yes, you can install linux on a FAT partition and use the UMSDOS
filesystem. If you are going to use linux more than a couple of times
it's better to allocate a few partitions, though.  There is a tool
called fips (comes with most distributions) that will shrink your
current partition to make room for more new partitions.

--
Jon Martin Solaas

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonso