Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade (AMD K6-2 266)

Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade (AMD K6-2 266)

Post by Curtis A. Snyde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Have Debian Slink installed on /dev/hda4 (kernel .2.0.34)
Upgraded CPU from AMD K5 PR133 to AMD K6-2 266
Linux no longer boots from hard disk
Lilo still boots win95 and linux will boot from CD.
Tried cp kernel to /dev/fd0 won't but that either.
Won't boot if put lilo on floppy.
Put K5 back in and it will boot fine.
Also tried a 2.2.9 kernel from floppy and that wouldn't boot either.

I'm out of ideas.......help !!!!

Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade (AMD K6-2 266)

Post by Curtis A. Snyde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sorry but I forgot to mention...
1). lilo says loading <kernal name> but don't get any '...' and don't
get uncompressing message, just hangs

(also sorry about the dup posting from dejanews, newbie to this news
group stuff)

> Have Debian Slink installed on /dev/hda4 (kernel .2.0.34)
> Upgraded CPU from AMD K5 PR133 to AMD K6-2 266
> Linux no longer boots from hard disk
> Lilo still boots win95 and linux will boot from CD.
> Tried cp kernel to /dev/fd0 won't but that either.
> Won't boot if put lilo on floppy.
> Put K5 back in and it will boot fine.
> Also tried a 2.2.9 kernel from floppy and that wouldn't boot either.

> I'm out of ideas.......help !!!!

Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade (AMD K6-2 266)

Post by Jan Rademache » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi.

Just another, guarantee-free, idea. WIN does some crazy BIOS-overriding
things. (Probably you installed the K6-PAtch for WIN, too.) So I imagine
it could be a BIOS-related problem, for instance the
IDE-Controller-routines * up the additonal 133 MHz's ;) when at
higher Run-Levels, the first Linux-Boot steps are pretty basic.
But then again, those speed problems occured otherwise only at 300Mhz
and higher.

Perhaps updating the BIOS to a newer Version can do the trick.

Jan

> Sorry but I forgot to mention...
> 1). lilo says loading <kernal name> but don't get any '...' and don't
> get uncompressing message, just hangs

> (also sorry about the dup posting from dejanews, newbie to this news
> group stuff)

> > Have Debian Slink installed on /dev/hda4 (kernel .2.0.34)
> > Upgraded CPU from AMD K5 PR133 to AMD K6-2 266
> > Linux no longer boots from hard disk
> > Lilo still boots win95 and linux will boot from CD.
> > Tried cp kernel to /dev/fd0 won't but that either.
> > Won't boot if put lilo on floppy.
> > Put K5 back in and it will boot fine.
> > Also tried a 2.2.9 kernel from floppy and that wouldn't boot either.

> > I'm out of ideas.......help !!!!

Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade (AMD K6-2 266)

Post by Curtis A. Snyde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the response but..
Have flashed the latest bios for my motherboard before starting all this
mess.
Also tried clocking the CPU back to rate of first CPU, didn't help either.
I'm trying to see where its*. I am fairly sure its in the "setup"
portion, I may even have limited it to the video portion of the setup. If I
comment this out (called from setup.S) it seems to boot but then I cann't
see what's on the screen so I'm not sure what its doing. I just know it
doesn't stop like it does when I leave it in.

Is there a way to debug this stuff other than comment out portioned or
adding print stmts?

> Hi.

> Just another, guarantee-free, idea. WIN does some crazy BIOS-overriding
> things. (Probably you installed the K6-PAtch for WIN, too.) So I imagine
> it could be a BIOS-related problem, for instance the
> IDE-Controller-routines * up the additonal 133 MHz's ;) when at
> higher Run-Levels, the first Linux-Boot steps are pretty basic.
> But then again, those speed problems occured otherwise only at 300Mhz
> and higher.

> Perhaps updating the BIOS to a newer Version can do the trick.

> Jan

> > Sorry but I forgot to mention...
> > 1). lilo says loading <kernal name> but don't get any '...' and don't
> > get uncompressing message, just hangs

> > (also sorry about the dup posting from dejanews, newbie to this news
> > group stuff)

> > > Have Debian Slink installed on /dev/hda4 (kernel .2.0.34)
> > > Upgraded CPU from AMD K5 PR133 to AMD K6-2 266
> > > Linux no longer boots from hard disk
> > > Lilo still boots win95 and linux will boot from CD.
> > > Tried cp kernel to /dev/fd0 won't but that either.
> > > Won't boot if put lilo on floppy.
> > > Put K5 back in and it will boot fine.
> > > Also tried a 2.2.9 kernel from floppy and that wouldn't boot either.

> > > I'm out of ideas.......help !!!!

Won't Boot After CPU Upgrade (AMD K6-2 266)

Post by Jan Rademache » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

See? Later that day i was in English mode again.... (:

Jan

> Hi.

> Just another, guarantee-free, idea. WIN does some crazy BIOS-overriding
> things. (Probably you installed the K6-PAtch for WIN, too.) So I imagine
> it could be a BIOS-related problem, for instance the
> IDE-Controller-routines * up the additonal 133 MHz's ;) when at
> higher Run-Levels, the first Linux-Boot steps are pretty basic.
> But then again, those speed problems occured otherwise only at 300Mhz
> and higher.

> Perhaps updating the BIOS to a newer Version can do the trick.

> Jan

> > Sorry but I forgot to mention...
> > 1). lilo says loading <kernal name> but don't get any '...' and don't
> > get uncompressing message, just hangs

> > (also sorry about the dup posting from dejanews, newbie to this news
> > group stuff)

> > > Have Debian Slink installed on /dev/hda4 (kernel .2.0.34)
> > > Upgraded CPU from AMD K5 PR133 to AMD K6-2 266
> > > Linux no longer boots from hard disk
> > > Lilo still boots win95 and linux will boot from CD.
> > > Tried cp kernel to /dev/fd0 won't but that either.
> > > Won't boot if put lilo on floppy.
> > > Put K5 back in and it will boot fine.
> > > Also tried a 2.2.9 kernel from floppy and that wouldn't boot either.

> > > I'm out of ideas.......help !!!!

1. FIC VA-503+ board and the AMD K6 266 cpu

Would the above compontents work well in a server (with FBSD 2.2.6)?  My
current server includes that damn TX chipset & i've been having problems
with crashes. I've heard the VIA chipset in the VA-503+ works better
with  amounts of memroy greater than 64mb (i have 96MB currently) and
supports some addtional features. Anyways does anyone here recomend this
board/K6 CPU ?

thanks

--

2. NIC cards for Solaris Intel

3. amd k6-2 266 o/c to 300?

4. Now wait a minute

5. 233 Pentium MMX, 266 K6, 266 6x86MX, IDT ?

6. report unknown NMI reasons only once (fwd)

7. RH4.2 + AMD K6 266

8. gnome hates my libaudio.so.o

9. NEWBIE needs Help with AMD K6 266 and Linux!

10. RH4.2 + AMD K6 266

11. AMD K6 266/300Mhz and recommended m-boards

12. AMD K6 266 and MTECH R581 Opinions

13. AMD K6-266 & ASUS RESET!