upgrade to a new version of glib

Post by Hung Ngoc La » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am trying to install GTK+; however, GTK+ requires glib versions 1.2.8 or higher.
At the moment, I am running glib version 1.2.5.  How do I remove version
1.2.5 and replace it with 1.2.8 so that I can run GTK+?  I am a linux
newbie so please gentle with me?  Please have your instructions to me
as specific as possible.  Thanks.

David

Post by Michael Perr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am trying to install GTK+; however, GTK+ requires glib versions 1.2.8
> or higher.   At the moment, I am running glib version 1.2.5.  How do I
> remove version
> 1.2.5 and replace it with 1.2.8 so that I can run GTK+?  I am a linux
> newbie so please gentle with me?  Please have your instructions to me as
> specific as possible.  Thanks.

Are you using a rpm-based distribution?  Like redhat, suse, caldera, or turbo?
If so, you could download binary rpm replacements for each one.  When I first
wanted to do this, the rpm upgrade path for glib/gtk+ seemed very confusing.

You could also manually install the libraries.  I have installed newer versions of
the drivers I previously installed via tarball archive "over top".  I don't know if
this is the factory approved way of doing things; but its what I did. Now I use
debian, and this stuff kinda takes care of itself.

I would definitely check out a mailing list or two or newsgroup specific to your
distribution and see if redhat or whatever has released a newer version you could
just rpm upgrade to.

--
Michael E. Perry

--------------------

1. upgrade to a new version of glib

I am trying to GTK+; however, GTK+ requires glib versions 1.2.8 or higher.
At the moment, I am running glib version 1.2.5.  How do I remove version
1.2.5 and replace it with 1.2.8 so that I can run GTK+?  I am a linux
newbie so please gentle with me?  Please have your instructions to me
as specific as possible.  Thanks.

David

2. Book on Makefiles??

3. getting uid from port numbers

4. How to upgrade glib-2.1.x to glib-2.2.x on Debian?

5. Certification

6. rpm -i doesnt recognize new gtk and glib version

7. cant install patches from CD

8. Upgrading to new computer & OS version

9. how to upgrade the linux to a new version?

10. New version of X Mosaic; upgrade now!

11. What happens if I upgrade to a new version of libc?

12. Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To: New Version