KDE Beta 4 segfault problem

Post by Love of the Putr » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

Hey there

        I am running a RH5 system, and I have had betas 2,3, and now 4
of KDE.  I complied the tarballs and qt as usual.  But now when I
tried to do change the desktop properties or invoke the menu editor it
segfaults.  I knew this when I tried to run the executables from the
command line.  From the GUI, like as in right click->desktop settings
it would simply do nothing.  Could someone tell me what's wrong?

KDE Beta 4 segfault problem

Post by Arne Hueggenber » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hey there

>         I am running a RH5 system, and I have had betas 2,3, and now 4
> of KDE.  I complied the tarballs and qt as usual.  But now when I
> tried to do change the desktop properties or invoke the menu editor it
> segfaults.  I knew this when I tried to run the executables from the
> command line.  From the GUI, like as in right click->desktop settings
> it would simply do nothing.  Could someone tell me what's wrong?

i had the same problem and it turned out that something went wrong when
i upgraded to qt 1.33.
everything worked fine once i got qt 1.33 installed allright.
hope this helps

Arn Hueggenberg

KDE Beta 4 segfault problem

Post by j.. » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hey there

>    I am running a RH5 system, and I have had betas 2,3, and now 4
>of KDE.  I complied the tarballs and qt as usual.  But now when I
>tried to do change the desktop properties or invoke the menu editor it
>segfaults.  I knew this when I tried to run the executables from the
>command line.  From the GUI, like as in right click->desktop settings
>it would simply do nothing.  Could someone tell me what's wrong?

Sorry, no, but I've just installed Beta4 on Red Hat 5 without doing
any compilation at all.  Fetch the relevant Beta4 RPMs from any of
the KDE mirrors (watching out for the rogue kdegraphics RPM) and the
qt RPM from www.troll.no and it's a doddle.

HTH
John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

KDE Beta 4 segfault problem

Post by Love of the Putr » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00

>>Hey there

>>        I am running a RH5 system, and I have had betas 2,3, and now 4
>>of KDE.  I complied the tarballs and qt as usual.  But now when I
>>tried to do change the desktop properties or invoke the menu editor it
>>segfaults.  I knew this when I tried to run the executables from the
>>command line.  From the GUI, like as in right click->desktop settings
>>it would simply do nothing.  Could someone tell me what's wrong?

>Sorry, no, but I've just installed Beta4 on Red Hat 5 without doing
>any compilation at all.  Fetch the relevant Beta4 RPMs from any of
>the KDE mirrors (watching out for the rogue kdegraphics RPM) and the
>qt RPM from www.troll.no and it's a doddle.

>HTH
>John

That did it, thanks.  I was afraid to use rpms for a while because of
that whole damned annoying glibc thing.  Works like a champ now!

:P

1. KDE 2.2.2 / Qt 3.0.1 / KDE 3.0 beta 1

I need to work with Qt 3.0.1 especially to have access to the DB interface.
But I'm still using KDE 2.2.2 because I need some stability for my
environment and KDE 3 beta 1 is yet not stable enough.

Though, I had 2 questions about the above:

1. Is it possible to recompile KDE 2.2.2 with Qt 3.0.1? If someone has
already made it can you tell me the steps to follow and the eventual patch
to apply to make it compile ?

2. Plan B: is there a way within KDevelop 2.1, under KDE 2.2.2, to test an
application relying on KDE 3 and Qt 3.0.1 ?

Thanks for your help

-----
Christian C. Berclaz
http://rivendell.sourceforge.net

2. Problems partitioning HDD 8.4GB

3. Getting KDE 1.1.2 and KDE 2.0 Beta 1 to co-exist

4. Pen Computing?

5. Segfault with BETA III

6. NEW LUG in Lansing, MI

7. KDE-2.0 to KDE-2.1 Beta 1

8. Newbie: problems with activation eth0

9. Upgrading from KDE 2 Beta to KDE 2.0.1

10. StarOffice 3.1 beta-november SegFault

11. Weird problem with KDE Beta 3's kpanel

12. Konqueror image display problem in KDE 2 Beta 4

13. problems with StarOffice 4.0 and KDE Beta 3