cp'ing xx.gz files breaks crc integrity

Post by David Lind » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Howdy all,

I am experiencing a severe problem with gzipped
files becoming corrupt (losing crc checksum integrity)
upon being moved or copied.  I am worried that this
might be connected to my recent HD and motherboard
upgrades...

Some details:
- corruption even if within a single partition
  (funny, I can boot from my newly compiled kernel
   if LILO points to it as
   /usr/src/linux-1.2.13/arch/boot/zImage
   but not if I copy it to /vmlinuz, then running
   LILO, of course.)
- repeated corruption of crc info on tests of xx.gz
  file copying/moving.

Any advice or comments (or suggestions for the BIOS
settings, or other) would be much appreciated.  Please
could you email as well as post any reply, since our
news-service prunes this group every few hours now(!).
Thanks very much,
Dave Linder

System:
Slackware 2.2, kernel 1.2.1 (now 1.2.13), AMD 486DX4/100,
Seagate ST5850A Decathalon 850Mb ATA Interface Drive,
UM4981 AIO board with 256kb cache and UM8672 VESA bus IDE
controller, v2.0, for Phoenix BIOS, 16Mb RAM.

1. cp'ing a large amount of files

While doing some cleanup, we tried to move a bunch of log files from the
logging dir to a dir with the year in its name. (I.E. all of the log
files from 1996 to a dir call logs_1996.)

Under csh, when we tried a "mv *", we got an error message saying there
were too many files. Is there a way around this? Is there another shell
I could wrap around the command to get this to work?

--

Ontario Hydro                   |  Tel. (416) 592 4195

2. Serial Card

3. cp'ing files from Dos/Windows partition to Linux partition

4. linux cant find my hard disk on install

5. Error while cp'ing files from mounted Novell volumes

6. Increasing Proc under Solaris2.3

7. Ftp'ing .gz file from Server

8. Apache: DBM-based authentication and dbmmanage questions

9. firewall kernel: martian source 196.xx.xx.xx from 165,146.xx.xx on dev eth0 ???

10. Could not reverse map address xx.xx.xx.xx???

11. connection was refused when connect to xx.xx.xx.xx

12. DHCP - gz file CRC error

13. How can I extract files from xx.tar.gz on Windows 2000 machine