sound cards and music CDs

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:08:36 +0200, Bernard Debreil

Quote:>Could someone explain what follows :

>Until a week ago, I had no sound card installed on my linux system, my
>AZTEC 2320 being only configured under Windows environment. So, no
>wonder that I could not launch any sound file on my RedHat 6.0 system.

>However, strangely enough, one sound utility did work perfectly :  it
>was the 'XCDPLAY' program. How could that possibly work ?  Are cdrom
>players equiped with a sound device of their own ?

Yes.  Take off the case and look inside, you'll notice that the CD-ROM has
a small 4-pin connecter that plugs into a cable which plugs into the
soundcard.  The CD-ROM pulls the PCM data off the audio CD and pipes it
directly to its own onboard DAC.  Then the data gets spit out the standard
computer speaker/headphone plug via a 4-pin connector on the soundcard.
This is why you can plug a set of headphones into any CD-ROM drive and
listen to audio CDs that way.

Quote:>Now, I have installed my sound card under Linux, using the ALSA-SOUND
>project system. Sound files work fine, but then my XCDPLAY program no
>longer works... so, I can no longer listen to music on my computer...

Weird.  Check the mixer settings and make sure the CD volume is cranked to
a decent level and not muted.  Also, try one of the many other CD players
out there just in case? ...  workman, kscd, gscd, workbone,
etcetera.  Make sure the player is pointing at the right device (often,
this is /dev/cdrom) and such.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

sound cards and music CDs

Post by Duan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:08:36 +0200, Bernard Debreil

> >Could someone explain what follows :

> >Until a week ago, I had no sound card installed on my linux system, my
> >AZTEC 2320 being only configured under Windows environment. So, no
> >wonder that I could not launch any sound file on my RedHat 6.0 system.

> >However, strangely enough, one sound utility did work perfectly :  it
> >was the 'XCDPLAY' program. How could that possibly work ?  Are cdrom
> >players equiped with a sound device of their own ?

> Yes.  Take off the case and look inside, you'll notice that the CD-ROM has
> a small 4-pin connecter that plugs into a cable which plugs into the
> soundcard.  The CD-ROM pulls the PCM data off the audio CD and pipes it
> directly to its own onboard DAC.  Then the data gets spit out the standard
> computer speaker/headphone plug via a 4-pin connector on the soundcard.
> This is why you can plug a set of headphones into any CD-ROM drive and
> listen to audio CDs that way.

> >Now, I have installed my sound card under Linux, using the ALSA-SOUND
> >project system. Sound files work fine, but then my XCDPLAY program no
> >longer works... so, I can no longer listen to music on my computer...

> Weird.  Check the mixer settings and make sure the CD volume is cranked to
> a decent level and not muted.  Also, try one of the many other CD players
> out there just in case? ...  workman, kscd, gscd, workbone,
> etcetera.  Make sure the player is pointing at the right device (often,
> this is /dev/cdrom) and such.

Since you did not mention it... did you move the cable mentioned above
so that it is now going from the CD to your sound card?

What do you mean by XCDPLAY not working? Does it appear to be playing
the CD and there is just no sound coming out?

--

sound cards and music CDs

Post by Bernard Debrei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Could someone explain what follows :

Until a week ago, I had no sound card installed on my linux system, my
AZTEC 2320 being only configured under Windows environment. So, no
wonder that I could not launch any sound file on my RedHat 6.0 system.

However, strangely enough, one sound utility did work perfectly :  it
was the 'XCDPLAY' program. How could that possibly work ?  Are cdrom
players equiped with a sound device of their own ?

Now, I have installed my sound card under Linux, using the ALSA-SOUND
project system. Sound files work fine, but then my XCDPLAY program no
longer works... so, I can no longer listen to music on my computer...
What is the explanation for that ?

How can I get around this, I mean, how can I have my system capable of
playing music from CDs, as well as playing sound files ?

Thanks for any hint

1. Sound card and music CDs (RH 4.2)

Hello,

I am running redhat 4.2 on a 486 with a scsi connected crdom and a
soundblaster soundcard.

Please could someone tell me how I can get the system to play my music
CDs whilst I work.

Thank You

Brian Stevens (bstevens at dera dot gov dot uk)

And our company lawyers would like to remind you

"The views expressed herein are entirely those of
the writer and do not represent the views, policy
or understanding of any other person or official
body."

2. RH 4.1 updgrades from contrib ==> BIG PB's

3. Getting raw CD music data off of a music CD

4. Help! RPC on specific port?

5. Playing music CDs, No sound

6. MKLinux - discontinued?

7. playing a music cd and setting up sound

8. Timeout Out waiting for PPP interface

9. Music CD's play, but not computer generated sounds

10. No sound using music CD

11. Mono sound when playing music CDs

12. Sound card for music editing etc

13. Recommend sound card for music recording?