rc.local and rc.sysinit don't execute mount

rc.local and rc.sysinit don't execute mount

Post by Mladen Gavrilovi » Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:51:14

Hi all,

I have a partially working Samba connection to my WinXP box.  Until I
get the time to smooth everything out, I'm happy just having access to
my mp3s.  This is the line in fstab:

//HOMER/ddrive         /usr/media/sound/mp3s   smbfs  \
        ip=192.168.0.1,workgroup=MYGROUP,guest,rw 0 0

When I type in "mount/usr/media/sound/mp3s" as root in a shell,
everything goes fine.  But if I put the same line in rc.sysinit or
rc.local, it either isn't executed or it doesn't work.  Anyone know why?

Note that other commands in the rc files work fine, which would support
the assumption that the mount is executed but something fails.  But I
can do the mount fine from a root shell manually, which would support
the assumption that the mount isn't executed.  Which leaves nothing to
go on.

By the way it's a RH 7.2 system with the custom HPT 372 RAID controller
kernel from HighPoint.

Regards,
Mladen

Post by Dave Bro » Wed, 01 May 2002 03:31:06

> I have a partially working Samba connection to my WinXP box.  Until I
> get the time to smooth everything out, I'm happy just having access to
> my mp3s.  This is the line in fstab:

> //HOMER/ddrive         /usr/media/sound/mp3s   smbfs  \
>    ip=192.168.0.1,workgroup=MYGROUP,guest,rw 0 0

> When I type in "mount/usr/media/sound/mp3s" as root in a shell,
> everything goes fine.  But if I put the same line in rc.sysinit or
> rc.local, it either isn't executed or it doesn't work.  Anyone know why?

Just to see what might be going on, I put an entry in rc.local, and it did
mount okay on reboot.  My entry looks different from yours, since I'm not
trying to access it via /etc/fstab, and I have "user" security; (pardon my
syntax on share names--it's the way I learned it):

mount '\\dilbert\c' -t smbfs -o username="dhbrown%xyz123" /mnt/extra

This does work, so I conclude there's no reason why you can't do a
samba mount from /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

But I just noticed--you're trying to connect to XP; didn't MS put
something in XP to try to break Samba?  My share is on a Win98 box,
(last time I bought anything with MS on it).

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

rc.local and rc.sysinit don't execute mount

Post by Mladen Gavrilovi » Thu, 02 May 2002 02:04:32

hmm... I tracked it down and the script gives one of the samba
ERRNoaccess messages when it tries to execute the command.  I don't get
why, though, because the same exact command executes fine when root does it.

>>I have a partially working Samba connection to my WinXP box.  Until I
>>get the time to smooth everything out, I'm happy just having access to
>>my mp3s.  This is the line in fstab:

>>//HOMER/ddrive         /usr/media/sound/mp3s   smbfs  \
>>        ip=192.168.0.1,workgroup=MYGROUP,guest,rw 0 0

>>When I type in "mount/usr/media/sound/mp3s" as root in a shell,
>>everything goes fine.  But if I put the same line in rc.sysinit or
>>rc.local, it either isn't executed or it doesn't work.  Anyone know why?

> Just to see what might be going on, I put an entry in rc.local, and it did
> mount okay on reboot.  My entry looks different from yours, since I'm not
> trying to access it via /etc/fstab, and I have "user" security; (pardon my
> syntax on share names--it's the way I learned it):

> mount '\\dilbert\c' -t smbfs -o username="dhbrown%xyz123" /mnt/extra

> This does work, so I conclude there's no reason why you can't do a
> samba mount from /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

> But I just noticed--you're trying to connect to XP; didn't MS put
> something in XP to try to break Samba?  My share is on a Win98 box,
> (last time I bought anything with MS on it).

1. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?

What is the difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit?
I am using Redhat 8. I did a diff on them and they are identical.
/etc/rc.sysinit is apparently a copy of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit since it
says that it is that file, even though it's not (see below).

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - run once at boot time

I want to change something in whichever of these scripts is run at
bootup, but I don't know which one gets run.

Thanks,
Russell

2. UNIX System/Network Administration Training in Washington DC

3. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?

4. Award BIOS/ASUS board adventures

5. Trouble with /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit root mount

6. Looking for KORN (ksh) Shell

7. RH7.3: LVM & /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

8. explain this one!!

9. call to ldconfig in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit question

10. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq: No such file or directory

11. /usr NFS-mounted -> rc.d/rc.local ?

12. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory

13. /etc/rc: sendmail parms don't match /etc/rc.conf