Qmail setup

Post by Michele Nicosi » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello,
    recently i installed the qmail pacckage, and from messeges ans
syloges i found that it's working.But now i want to have several pop3
mailbox that will accept local mail form netscape,eudora client, and
when i want with seriamail i twil send them to the right internet mail
server.First question is

    a) how to create pop3 users with qmail-pop3d and have their mailbox
accepting the mail withou delivery instantly.

    b) how to have the delivery of these mail with serialmail.

   I do not want to have user locally with login so i do not use elm or
othe linux -based mail prg.
Only root will be myself on the internet, so if it is possible i want to
masquerade my self root with myself intenet also from elm, only if it is
possible and not so complicate.

                        Thanks

Qmail setup

Post by Russell Nelso » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>     recently i installed the qmail pacckage, and from messeges ans
> syloges i found that it's working.But now i want to have several pop3
> mailbox that will accept local mail form netscape,eudora client, and
> when i want with seriamail i twil send them to the right internet mail
> server.First question is

>     a) how to create pop3 users with qmail-pop3d and have their mailbox
> accepting the mail withou delivery instantly.

>     b) how to have the delivery of these mail with serialmail.

serialmail and pop3 have very little to do with each other.  You would
use serialmail to deliver mail to a host which is not connected to the
Internet at all times, to push the mail to them.  They would use a
pop3 client (e.g. fetchmail) to pull the mail from your server.

--

Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Obedient, Christian, statist:

Qmail setup

Post by Dan Gundlac » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,
>     recently i installed the qmail pacckage, and from messeges ans
> syloges i found that it's working.But now i want to have several pop3
> mailbox that will accept local mail form netscape,eudora client, and
> when i want with seriamail i twil send them to the right internet mail
> server.First question is

>     a) how to create pop3 users with qmail-pop3d and have their mailbox
> accepting the mail withou delivery instantly.

>     b) how to have the delivery of these mail with serialmail.

>    I do not want to have user locally with login so i do not use elm or
> othe linux -based mail prg.
> Only root will be myself on the internet, so if it is possible i want to
> masquerade my self root with myself intenet also from elm, only if it is
> possible and not so complicate.

>                         Thanks

You would want to use pop3 as the protocol for your users, not
serialmail.  Go to http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no/ and do a search for
qpopper.  You'll have to make a couple changes for it to work with the
mailboxes in the users' home dirs.  In the Makefile or make.linux file,
set -DHOMEDIRMAIL.  And in the file pop_user.c, change the string .mail
to Mailbox.  Then compile normally.

To have all of root's mail go to you, edit /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root,

If you have any trouble with this, feel free to contact me

Qmail setup

Post by Michele Nicosi » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> serialmail and pop3 have very little to do with each other.  You would

> use serialmail to deliver mail to a host which is not connected to the

> Internet at all times, to push the mail to them.  They would use a
> pop3 client (e.g. fetchmail) to pull the mail from your server.

Ok, it is clear for me , but when a client with eudora read a mail
develope to him by fetchmail and qmail, how he can reply directly to
that e-mail if the smtp server is locall? how i can made a queue of all
outgoing mail and send them all togheter?? i heard about seriamail but
it doesn't work...

Qmail setup

Post by Russell Nelso » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > serialmail and pop3 have very little to do with each other.  You would

> > use serialmail to deliver mail to a host which is not connected to the

> > Internet at all times, to push the mail to them.  They would use a
> > pop3 client (e.g. fetchmail) to pull the mail from your server.

> Ok, it is clear for me , but when a client with eudora read a mail
> develope to him by fetchmail and qmail, how he can reply directly to
> that e-mail if the smtp server is locall? how i can made a queue of all
> outgoing mail and send them all togheter?? i heard about seriamail but
> it doesn't work...

Use a virtualdomains line with a null left-hand-side.  Deliver the mail
into a maildir, then use serial mail to dump it out when you connect to
the net.

--

Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   primary cause of peace.
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Obedient, Christian, statist:
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   |    you only get to pick two.

1. qmail setup woes...

I have read all the mans, faqs, life with qmail. and then some..
I cannot send or recieve mail. So far I am stuck at number 5 in the
TEST.deliver section. I watch dumps on my machine and it shows attempts
to connect to yahoo.com (the site the user was located at). I think it
may be a problem with the control files.. But that it just a guess... Any
help?

2. linux don't start!

3. Qmail Setup Problem

4. CJK Fonts for Lynx

5. qmail setup problem

6. URGENT: Help with 1,4GB disc required

7. qmail setup

8. Rerouting IP masqueraded machines using DNS??

9. help with qmail setup

10. qmail setup woes...

11. Qmail setup with fetchmail

12. qmail setup problems - mailbox directory, routing mail to users

13. Qmail setup