System Reset !! Help !!

Post by Pramod Mula » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I had the system running, with all the features (X, apache, all
deamons... etc). But due
someones carelessness the machine was reset. The system restarted and
now it does not
recognize the hard disk ( I think that the FAT has been damaged).

I tried to use the rescue disk but it gives the following message :
hda : no response (status = 0xf4)
hda : non-IDE drive, CHS=1024/16/63
Partition check:
 hda: status timeout : status=0xf4 { Busy }
 hda: drive not ready for command
 ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xf4
VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ramdisk and press ENTER
It mounts the ext2 filesystem....in readonly mode....then..

Unable to open an initial console.

After this it just does nothing....

Please give me some information how  I could revieve my system...
The last alternative would be to install the system again... which I
want to avoid.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Pramod Mulay

System Reset !! Help !!

Post by j » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I had the system running, with all the features (X, apache, all
>deamons... etc). But due
>someones carelessness the machine was reset. The system restarted and
>now it does not
>recognize the hard disk ( I think that the FAT has been damaged).

Nothing will solve it unless you talk to the someone about not messing
linux up.

Quote:>I tried to use the rescue disk but it gives the following message :
>hda : no response (status = 0xf4)
>hda : non-IDE drive, CHS=1024/16/63
>Partition check:
> hda: status timeout : status=0xf4 { Busy }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xf4
>VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ramdisk and press ENTER
>It mounts the ext2 filesystem....in readonly mode....then..

>Unable to open an initial console.

>After this it just does nothing....

>Please give me some information how  I could revieve my system...
>The last alternative would be to install the system again... which I
>want to avoid.

I'm guessing it's wrong CMOS setup. Reboot & go there. Check the
settings. New mobos can auto-detect HDs and set 'em up. Save and exit.
Boot linux. Also, check the HD cables under the hood. I had the same
prob w/ a cd drive w/ loose cable and wrong jumpers

Quote:>Thanks in advance. Any help would be highly appreciated.

no prob.

1. Help - Linux keeps resetting the system time on reboots

Running the official Red Hat 5.0 on a Dell 486, nothing remarkable.  I
noticed that the time is exactly 6 hours earlier than the real time
here (chicago, central standard).

I checked the BIOS clock, and that is correct.  I also checked
/etc/localtime and the link is to /usr/lib/zoneinfo/US/whatever the
file is called for central standard.  I used the 'date' command to set
the clock to the correct local time, and then of course, issueing a
date command prints out the correct time CDT.  However, when I reboot
the machine, a message appears, something like:

setting clock UTC 11:24...

Which is exactly six hours earlier than the real time.  When I issue
the 'date' command, it prints out

Wed, May 20th.... <time 6 hours early> CDT.

I also tried changing the time using the standard X-tool that comes
with RedHat but it always goes back to being 6 hours early.

Any help would be most appreciated,
jeff

2. Need some class libraries under X11-Something like MFC class

3. Please help resetting system date

4. help: comp.sources.unix v6 vt100tool

5. HELP!! Can't boot system after reset!!

6. (help!) change first char to upper case

7. /usr/bin/{reset,clear) - clear does not work even after reset

8. RPC program not registered?

9. How do I reset the serial speed on my system?

10. ``Reset-floppy called'' killed my system (0.99.8)

11. SYSTEM RESET INTERRUPT RECEIVED

12. system time resets to 4 hours earlier

13. NFS Error -> System Reset !!