Hardware changes - Need some advise

Post by SZE-H » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:42:40

Hi,

   If I got an installed Linux on hardware A and I decide to switch to
hardware B. Will the Linux still working?

   P/S: Hardware A and hardware B is running on different type of
hardware.(Total different specification)

Thanks,

Post by Lee Wei Shu » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:03:41

> Hi,

>    If I got an installed Linux on hardware A and I decide to switch to
> hardware B. Will the Linux still working?

>    P/S: Hardware A and hardware B is running on different type of
> hardware.(Total different specification)

> Thanks,

Sze Hun,

You will still need to supply this info to get your question answered
properly:

        Hardware A:             Hardware B:
CPU: ?
M/B:
Memory: ?
HDD: ?

Name and version of Linux you installed: ?

Regards,
Wei Shun

--
Change to leews to mail.
Linux user #61399

Post by mjt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:59:21

>   If I got an installed Linux on hardware A and I decide to switch to
> hardware B. Will the Linux still working?

>    P/S: Hardware A and hardware B is running on different type of
> hardware.(Total different specification)

... be more specific. are you ripping the HD out of the one
box and moving it to another? or what?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:47:33

> Hi,

>    If I got an installed Linux on hardware A and I decide to switch to
> hardware B. Will the Linux still working?

>    P/S: Hardware A and hardware B is running on different type of
> hardware.(Total different specification)

> Thanks,

*Probably*. You may have to tweak things a bit. For example, if your
Linux installation has the hard drive locations listed as /dev/hda and
/dev/hdb, and the other system has add-on IDE controllers and the drives
will be /dev/hde and /dev/hdf, you'll need to boot with a rescue disk
and re-write your lilo.conf or grub.conf, and your /etc/fstab, before it
will boot successfully.

Post by Baho Uto » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:03:20

> Hi,

>    If I got an installed Linux on hardware A and I decide to switch to
> hardware B. Will the Linux still working?

>    P/S: Hardware A and hardware B is running on different type of
> hardware.(Total different specification)

> Thanks,

Your only hope is Hardware A XOR B

1. Hardware advise needed.

Greetings...

I'm gearing up my system to run Linux.

I currently have a DX2-66, running on an ASUS SP3G, with 230 and 120 Mb IDE hard
drives.  Also have a Reveal CD-ROM (2x),  made by Samsung.  16Mb RAM.

First, let me know if anyone sees a problem with this hardware.

My main concern is video.  I'm currently using a 16 bit Cirrus card.  I want to
upgrade this.  What would be the best choice for maximum compatibility and
performance with Linux/XFree?  PCI or VLB?  Not wanting to go over $180 or so.  Would
like at least 1024x768x65k, if this is viable for XFree.  I don't know.  I'm a Linux
newbie.

Please lend some advise.

Thanks,
Andy

--

Tagline: (fnord)

2. Newbie question about installation FreeBSD 4.2

3. Newbie needs advises (which distribution, hardware requirements)

4. how to find binaries/files associated with a .deb package installed?

5. Urgent! Advise for hardware needed.

6. Pls HELP: compiling 1.2.13 kernel will gcc 2.7.2

7. Hardware-Need some advise !

8. Solaris 9: DL_NOTIFY_REQ

9. Hardware advise

10. advise for hardware raid.

11. SCSI/IDE hardware Raid 1 - plaase advise

12. Advise: Hardware for AUIS multi-media system

13. Please advise me on network hardware and software