insmod problems

Post by John S. Gorman II » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Howdy all,

I recently compiled kernel version 2.2.12 on my PII box.  Everything seems
to be working fine.  However, when I run 'insmod <module>' I get:

/lib/modules/2.2.12/ipv4/<module>.o:  unresolved symbol <symbol name>

After the new kernel was compiled, I noticed that the System.map symlink was
not updated in the /boot directory, nor was the module-info symlink.
Although in the rc.sysinit there appears to be code for performing those two
functions.  I moved the System.map from /usr/src/linux/ to
/boot/System.map-2.2.12 and created a symlink, but I don't know how to
remedy the module-info problem.  I am not sure if this would affect the
'insmod' or not, but just a little info.

Please let me know if anyone has any insight on this issue.  There are a
couple of modules I would like to insert, but am not currently capable.  I
am running Redhat 6.0, and insmod version 2.1.121.

Thanks in advance,

John

1. linux tcp/ip stack as a module...insmod problems

Hi,
I am trying to implement the whole tcp/ip  stack (below the INET
socket layer) as a module . Do not confuse this with setting the "m"
option during "make xconfig"....
I am attempting to build a custom stack which i can change at will...

My approach:
I thought of using all the code of the linux stack as a starting
point. I copied all .c files from /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 to a
separate directory
Then i compiled each file (gcc -D__KERNEL__ -c ...) and got the
coresponding object file. I also wrote a dummy .c file which contained
the init_module and cleanup_module functions. Then i linked all these
object files together.

My Problem:
When i try to insmod the resulting .obj file, i get the error
"couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for".
This happens even if i turn off kernel versioning while building the
kernel.
what could be the problem?

-chinmay

2. How to write GREP command in UNIX