"not enough drive space" error.

Post by Taylor Lees » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The problem I'm having is that when I try to do a workstation class
installation it gives me a "not enough drive space" error. I have plenty of
room on my hard drive. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Post by Artur Swietanowsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> The problem I'm having is that when I try to do a workstation class
> installation it gives me a "not enough drive space" error. I have plenty of
> room on my hard drive. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Probably not enough drive space:
(a) not enough free partitions left on the disk for the "workstation"
    setup (I don't know what is the number and type needed as I
    always create custom installations),
(b) simply not enough free space on the disk -- the workstation setup
    installs quite a lot.

To find out more precisely, try custom setup -- then you'll see
more detailed information on the space (un)available, partitions,
space needed for the packages, etc.

Regards,

Institut fr Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universit?t Wien,     Universit?tsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Post by Andr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> The problem I'm having is that when I try to do a workstation class
>> installation it gives me a "not enough drive space" error. I have plenty
of
>> room on my hard drive. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

from what ive read, the workstation install overwrites any existing *linux*
partitions, so if you've only got FAT partitions to start with, my guess is
it would fail.

do a custom install.  it'll also benefit you with knowledge of partition
types etc.  i find it surprising the amount of people here who are doing
such potentially damaging stuff to their computers (ie messing about with
creating & deleting paritions) and display a complete lack of evidence of
reading any of the documentation :O)

Hell, the first time i installed linux, i downloaded *ALL* the manuals,
FAQs, HOWTOs i could find and spent an entire week reading them.  and what
do we get? an average of ten posts a week from people asking if their
winmodem is gonna work in linux.

A.
"part of the fun is in the learning"

"not enough drive space" error.

Post by B. Alle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Also keep in mind that workstation or server installations will wipe
EVERYTHING on your harddrive, including a previous windows installation.
Choose custom and install everything instead, you get all the same stuff.
Also, what partitions are you making? you need a root partition with make 50
megs of space, a swap partition equal to your RAM, and about 650 megs in a
/usr partition, plus a /home partition for user files.

>>The problem I'm having is that when I try to do a workstation class
>>installation it gives me a "not enough drive space" error. I have plenty
of
>>room on my hard drive. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

>Well, it would help if you told us which distribution you were installing,
>but I'm guessing that you didn't partition enough space for either the root
>filesystem or /usr

>-Will

"not enough drive space" error.

Post by Barney Cragg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had the same (ish) issues yesterday and here's what I found..

1) i was dual booting NT & RedHat6 where a single 16Gb drive already had 2
primary partitions (NT & a Fat16 Data).  there is a limit of 4 primary
partitions on a single drive so trying to get a further \boot, \root & swap
wasn't going to happen in a hurry

2)  the \boot MUST sit entirely under the 1023 cylinder limit.  even though
linux can handle terrabytes of disk to boot properly (if at all) it must
must must be way down there.  basically this applies to NT as well so both
must sit in the first 8Gb or so of the disk.

3) it helps if the \root partition partition can also sit under 1023 (don't
know why but it worked then)

4) alternate solution is to use separate disks for stuff

5) don't use the workstation or server installs as they wipe EVERYTHING -
all partitions all disks from what I read.  far easier to use custom and
disk druid to partition stuff up.

hope that helps.

BarneyC

> >The problem I'm having is that when I try to do a workstation class
> >installation it gives me a "not enough drive space" error. I have plenty
of
> >room on my hard drive. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

> Well, it would help if you told us which distribution you were installing,
> but I'm guessing that you didn't partition enough space for either the
root
> filesystem or /usr

> -Will

"not enough drive space" error.

Post by cjnov.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

For clarification you are not doing a workstation class install in
custom mode?  How much room do you have on your HD?

Chris Novack

Quote:> The problem I'm having is that when I try to do a workstation class

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Will Brigg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>The problem I'm having is that when I try to do a workstation class
>installation it gives me a "not enough drive space" error. I have plenty of
>room on my hard drive. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Well, it would help if you told us which distribution you were installing,
but I'm guessing that you didn't partition enough space for either the root
filesystem or /usr

-Will

"not enough drive space" error.

Post by Sudd » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'll have to agree with Andre.  I setup a workstation with Linux and Windows
partitions.  It only overwrote the Linux partitions and left the windows
partitions untouched.  If I had only Windows partitions it may have failed.

>The problem I'm having is that when I try to do a workstation class
>installation it gives me a "not enough drive space" error. I have plenty of
>room on my hard drive. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

1. vi "not enough space" error

I'm getting
"not enough space" messages when I try to
use vi to re-edit any file in
filesystems exported from an SGI running IRIX 5.3.
New files get created fine.
The local machine is an RS6000 550 AIX 3.2.5.
What might be causing the problem?

Replying "Switch to emacs" did not go over well with that user... :)
hiroki

2. information infrastructure

3. tape recover error "not enough space"

4. Paging with Headers

5. "Not enough space" error

6. Printing with OKIPAGE4W ? help!!

7. ??: "xpm: Not enough colors." In "xpat2" Card Game???

8. System.map

9. ??: "xpm: Not enough colors" In "xpat2" Card Game?

10. SCSI on Sol8 - read: "not enough space"

11. "ld: fatal: file /dev/zero: cannot mmap file: Not enough space"... but why ?

12. mksysb restore "not enough disk space selected"

13. HELP -- fork: "not enough space"