Setting up IDE-CD-writer

Post by Sebastian Schol » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello, everybody!

I'm trying to set up an IDE-Writer at my linux box with Kernel 2.2.10.
I've re-compiled my kernel as said in the CD-Writing-HOWTO. The writer
is an IDE-writer and I think that's the reason for I don't see it when I
do a 'cdrecord -scanbus'. What the computer says then is: "File or
directory not found"

The howto says there is a problem with running the IDE drivers and
SCSI-emulation at the same time and that I would have to give an append
line at booting for the IDE device I want to write CDs with.

Did anybody here have the same problem and solved it? Or does anybody
know what the problem is and how I could solve it?

Thanks a lot!

Sebastian Scholz

Setting up IDE-CD-writer

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sebastian Scholz a crit :

Quote:

> Hello, everybody!

> I'm trying to set up an IDE-Writer at my linux box with Kernel 2.2.10.
> I've re-compiled my kernel as said in the CD-Writing-HOWTO. The writer
> is an IDE-writer and I think that's the reason for I don't see it when I
> do a 'cdrecord -scanbus'. What the computer says then is: "File or
> directory not found"

> The howto says there is a problem with running the IDE drivers and
> SCSI-emulation at the same time and that I would have to give an append
> line at booting for the IDE device I want to write CDs with.

> Did anybody here have the same problem and solved it? Or does anybody
> know what the problem is and how I could solve it?

> Thanks a lot!

> Sebastian Scholz

You have to recompile your kernel with no IDE CDROM support at all.
You need to compile with SCSI support and SCSI emulation. You also
need to change fstab and conf.modules. Read the HOWTO where it is well
described. Your CDROM drive(s) will be recognized as SCSI drive(s)
after that. It doesn't imply that your CD writer will work but the
chances will be better.
For my CD writer the Linux software trashes CDs or crash the CDROM.
It is a memorex IDE drive.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

Setting up IDE-CD-writer

Post by Mark Bratche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sebastian,

Quote:> I'm trying to set up an IDE-Writer at my linux box with Kernel 2.2.10.
> I've re-compiled my kernel as said in the CD-Writing-HOWTO. The writer
> is an IDE-writer and I think that's the reason for I don't see it when I
> do a 'cdrecord -scanbus'. What the computer says then is: "File or
> directory not found"

With that error message, it appears that cdrecord is not in your path.
It can't find the command. Cdrecord doesn't come with Linux. You have to
hunt it down, download it, build it, and install it.

Quote:> The howto says there is a problem with running the IDE drivers and
> SCSI-emulation at the same time and that I would have to give an append
> line at booting for the IDE device I want to write CDs with.

In order to use cdrecord you must have your kernel configured to use
SCSI emulation on the IDE bus. Cdrecord only works on SCSI. Reread the
CD-Writing-HOWTO carefully. (I had to read it a couple of times over to
be sure of some things.)

Quote:> Did anybody here have the same problem and solved it? Or does anybody
> know what the problem is and how I could solve it?

Once I got the SCSI emulation into the kernel and Linux saw the CD-RW as
a SCSI drive rather than an IDE drive I was able to record (and read)
fine. When it becomes a SCSI drive, your device name will change, so
you'll need to change /etc/fstab.

--
Mark Bratcher

Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles. Use Linux!

Setting up IDE-CD-writer

Post by r.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hello, everybody!
>I'm trying to set up an IDE-Writer at my linux box with Kernel 2.2.10.
>I've re-compiled my kernel as said in the CD-Writing-HOWTO. The writer
>is an IDE-writer and I think that's the reason for I don't see it when I
>do a 'cdrecord -scanbus'. What the computer says then is: "File or
>directory not found"
>The howto says there is a problem with running the IDE drivers and
>SCSI-emulation at the same time and that I would have to give an append
>line at booting for the IDE device I want to write CDs with.
>Did anybody here have the same problem and solved it? Or does anybody
>know what the problem is and how I could solve it?

I got far enough to get my IDE writer to burn single session CDRs.
I didn't have to recompile my kernel (but I'm wondering if that is
why my multisessions are failing... I've posted elsewhere about that).
I DID add "append hdc=ide-scsi" in lilo, changed the fstab entry
to mount /dev/scd0 instead of /dev/hdc, and wheee, CDR burned and
read back.   I didn't do the "options ide-cd ignore=hdc" either
(again, I wonder if that is causing my multisession problems, but
since I saw the SCSI controller message at boot time I didn't
think so).  When you did the reboot, did you see in the messages
that your writer was registering with a (probably nonexistant)
SCSI controller?  Do you have a bunch of /dev files called
/dev/sga, sgb...?  cdrecord -scanbus needs to use those to, well,
scan a bus (actually, to scan them).  One of the HOWTOs tells how
to make them if you don't.  Are you using cdrecord as root?  If
you are trying to use it as a user, you will have to setuid root
it, probably for group permission and add your user id into a
cdburning group (you could give it general user permission, but
that gives me the heebee-geebees).  I think the cdrecord man
page says something about that.  I can't think of anything else.

ru

Setting up IDE-CD-writer

Post by Sebastian Schol » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>With that error message, it appears that cdrecord is not in your path.
>It can't find the command. Cdrecord doesn't come with Linux. You have
>hunt it down, download it, build it, and install it.

Now it works, when I do a 'cdrecord -scanbus' my cd-drive and the writer
are detected.

Quote:>In order to use cdrecord you must have your kernel configured to use
>SCSI emulation on the IDE bus. Cdrecord only works on SCSI. Reread the
>CD-Writing-HOWTO carefully. (I had to read it a couple of times over to
>be sure of some things.)

I have compiled such a kernel and it seems to work. But I do have one
question: If there is no SCSI controller in my computer, do I have to
choose one for the emulation??? I mean that could be the reason why my
ethernet-card doesn't work after rebuilding the kernel...

Quote:>Once I got the SCSI emulation into the kernel and Linux saw the CD-RW
as
>a SCSI drive rather than an IDE drive I was able to record (and read)
>fine. When it becomes a SCSI drive, your device name will change, so
>you'll need to change /etc/fstab.

That is no problem. What about the parameters like SCSI_LUN and these
things? Can I always use '0,6,0' on the cdrecord-commandline or does
that depend on the system configuration? My cd-writer is secondary
ide-controller, slave.

Is it possible to burn cds on the fly? The HOWTO says that I have to
make an image file, but I don't have enough disk space for that. -If
this is not possible there is no reason to talk about cd-writing any
longer :-((

Sebastian

Setting up IDE-CD-writer

Post by bill davids » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

| Now it works, when I do a 'cdrecord -scanbus' my cd-drive and the writer
| are detected.

  Good, you need that info. See below.

| >In order to use cdrecord you must have your kernel configured to use
| >SCSI emulation on the IDE bus. Cdrecord only works on SCSI. Reread the
| >CD-Writing-HOWTO carefully. (I had to read it a couple of times over to
| >be sure of some things.)
|
| I have compiled such a kernel and it seems to work. But I do have one
| question: If there is no SCSI controller in my computer, do I have to
| choose one for the emulation??? I mean that could be the reason why my
| ethernet-card doesn't work after rebuilding the kernel...

  You probably didn't compile in your ethernet card, or made it a module
and didn't force loading. Get that issue solved before proceding. You
need the ide-scsi and scsi-generic (sg) modules at minimum, and the scsi
CD is useful to mount and read your CD after burn, (sr-mod).

| >Once I got the SCSI emulation into the kernel and Linux saw the CD-RW
| as
| >a SCSI drive rather than an IDE drive I was able to record (and read)
| >fine. When it becomes a SCSI drive, your device name will change, so
| >you'll need to change /etc/fstab.
|
| That is no problem. What about the parameters like SCSI_LUN and these
| things? Can I always use '0,6,0' on the cdrecord-commandline or does
| that depend on the system configuration? My cd-writer is secondary
| ide-controller, slave.

  Get the bus, ID, and LUN off the output of the -scanbus option. If you
compiled the kernel with "probe all LUNs" it is likely to find the CD
either times, unless the ide-scsi has been fixed. You don't need the
probe unless you run some fancy RAID stuff on real SCSI.

| Is it possible to burn cds on the fly? The HOWTO says that I have to
| make an image file, but I don't have enough disk space for that. -If
| this is not possible there is no reason to talk about cd-writing any
| longer :-((

  Long story. The way you find out on your system is to (read the docs)
pipe the output of mkisofs into cdrecord. Use -dummy to avoid a real
burn. Things which will help with making this work are (a) increase
the fifo in cdrecord to about (all_memory - 6MB), (b) don't run anything at
all other than the CD stuff, no X, other sessions, nothing, (c) set the
burn speed down low (speed=1) to let the fill keep up with the burn.

  In the long run you really will want to get more disk space, I bet.
Unless you are really broke (you bought a burner) or only burn once in a
great while, or are super patient, having an image is really convenient.
Particularly when you burn all your latest open source stuff on a CD and
someone say "can I have a copy of that?"

  Good luck, let us know how it works for you. Again, read the docs,
there are some other things in there I probably forgot or never needed.

--

  When taking small children to a carnival, always have them go potty
*before* you let them go on the rides, and let them eat all the junk

Setting up IDE-CD-writer

Post by Mark Bratche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> [snip]

> >In order to use cdrecord you must have your kernel configured to use
> >SCSI emulation on the IDE bus. Cdrecord only works on SCSI. Reread the
> >CD-Writing-HOWTO carefully. (I had to read it a couple of times over to
> >be sure of some things.)

> I have compiled such a kernel and it seems to work. But I do have one
> question: If there is no SCSI controller in my computer, do I have to
> choose one for the emulation??? I mean that could be the reason why my
> ethernet-card doesn't work after rebuilding the kernel...

You got me there. When I compiled the kernel, I picked what I thought
was a vanilla SCSI controller not knowing if it was even needed or not.
Unfortunately, the CD-Writing-HOWTO says nothing about it.

Quote:> That is no problem. What about the parameters like SCSI_LUN and these
> things? Can I always use '0,6,0' on the cdrecord-commandline or does
> that depend on the system configuration? My cd-writer is secondary
> ide-controller, slave.

The cdrecord -scanbus should tell you what it is. Mine's a secondary
master and it comes up 0,1,0. (My IDE tape drive, secondary slave, comes
up 0,0,0.)

Quote:> Is it possible to burn cds on the fly? The HOWTO says that I have to
> make an image file, but I don't have enough disk space for that. -If
> this is not possible there is no reason to talk about cd-writing any
> longer :-((

Yes, it is possible. I believe the man page for cdrecord shows you how.
Basically, it's just taking mkisofs and piping it right into cdrecord. I
haven't tried it, so I don't know what kind of speed you need for it to
keep up. If you have a relatively fast system (for example, at least
P-II 233 with typical hard drive within 3 years old, say) it could work.
If you have a CD-RW you can experiment on that without making too many
frizbees.

HTH

Mark
Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles. Use Linux!

1. IDE CD Writer and IDE CD-ROM

Hi All!

I have a regular IDE CD-ROM drive and an IDE CD-Writer, which i will
be putting into the same fileserver, so I can do complete CD burns.
However, my question pertains to letting them live together :-)

I know how to make the CD-Writer work using the IDE-SCSI emulation
support, that's no problem.  But would this work?:

Assume:
CD-Writer = hdc
CD-ROM = hdd

So can I then make symbollic links as follows:

cdwriter --> scd0
cdrom --> hdd

And of course make the appropriate entries in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/cdwriter   /mnt/cdwriter   iso9660.....
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660.....

(of course there would be the appropriate entires for the ide-scsi
module in /etc/modules.conf and /etc/lilo.conf).

Thanx for your help!

2. virtual domain for sendmail?

3. Using IDE CD-Writer via ide-scsi?

4. Oracle 8i installation, telnet connection and sound configuration

5. CD-Writer CD-Writer

6. Good entry-level database?

7. Jumper settings for a Teac CD-R55S CD writer

8. remote login

9. Problem Set up A IDE CD-ROM as the forth IDE device under Win95

10. CD-Writer ide-scsi irq timeout errors

11. ide cd writer

12. ide cdrom and cdrom writer with scsi harddisk using cdrecord can't find cd reader

13. What IDE CD Writer?