RH7.2 Memory Requirements

Post by Jon Roo » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:36:38

Hi everybody,

I just bought a copy of RH7.2.  When I got it home I read the system
requirements on the side of the box (I know should have read before I
bought) ...
The box says 64 MB is the minimum memory required for a graphical
system.  Mine is an old system maxed out at 48 MB.
My question:  Will the OS run with less than the minimum and just
perform slowly, or is it a 'hard' minimum and the OS won't even run with
less than the 64MB?

Thanks,
Jon

RH7.2 Memory Requirements

Post by ne.. » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 03:36:07

> Hi everybody,

> I just bought a copy of RH7.2.  When I got it home I read the system
> requirements on the side of the box (I know should have read before I
> bought) ...
> The box says 64 MB is the minimum memory required for a graphical
> system.  Mine is an old system maxed out at 48 MB.
> My question:  Will the OS run with less than the minimum and just
> perform slowly, or is it a 'hard' minimum and the OS won't even run with
> less than the 64MB?

It will just perform slowly. What you will need to do
is install a smaller wm/de. XFCE, icewm, blackbox and
fvwm are all good candidates. Bothe GNOME and KDE tend
to need more ram to operate effectively.

NOTE: You can still run KDE and GNOME apps without using
KDE or GNOME.

Certified: 40% bastard, 22% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest

RH7.2 Memory Requirements

Post by Gordon Weas » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 04:06:26

Once you get it installed you will be able to run in 48 MB.  The installer
wants to see a rather large ram+swap on the order of 150 MB or so.  I think
it brings the whole list of installable packages into memory.  If you don't
have enough swap space partitioned on the disk, it will make a swap file.

You have a choice of installing and running KDE, GNOME or just a plain
window manager like fvwm.  There are also several other choices of plain
window managers.  Five years ago, I was able to install and run with
fvwm on a 16 MB 486/66.  When GNOME and KDE came out, I tried them on
that machine and quickly decided that they were a bad choice.  I remember
that bringing up KDE took many minutes with lots of paging going on.
It wasn't usable.

The amount of disk space on an old machine is probably more limiting than
the amount of ram.  RedHat 7.2 seems to need between 1 and 2 GB to install
comfortably.  On an old machine the BIOS probably can't boot if the bootable
partition extends past the 8 GB limit.  You can create a small partition
at the beginning of the disk and mount it to /boot to overcome that problem
if you have added a big disk.

It is a challenge to install and run Linux on an older machine, but it is
a fun challenge!

Gordon Weast

> Hi everybody,

> I just bought a copy of RH7.2.  When I got it home I read the system
> requirements on the side of the box (I know should have read before I
> bought) ...
> The box says 64 MB is the minimum memory required for a graphical
> system.  Mine is an old system maxed out at 48 MB.
> My question:  Will the OS run with less than the minimum and just
> perform slowly, or is it a 'hard' minimum and the OS won't even run with
> less than the 64MB?

> Thanks,
> Jon

RH7.2 Memory Requirements

Post by Davi » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 05:09:39

> Hi everybody,

> I just bought a copy of RH7.2.  When I got it home I read the system
> requirements on the side of the box (I know should have read before I
> bought) ...
> The box says 64 MB is the minimum memory required for a graphical
> system.  Mine is an old system maxed out at 48 MB.
> My question:  Will the OS run with less than the minimum and just
> perform slowly, or is it a 'hard' minimum and the OS won't even run with
> less than the 64MB?

> Thanks,
> Jon

Different distro but I have a Slackware 7.1 system on an old 50MHz/20MB
RAM laptop and it runs GNOME though it is slow, it does work.

ID # 123538

1. hardware requirements for RH7.1 Web production platform

Hi, We are in the initial stages of deciding what machines we need for
our Linux (RH7.1) production platform which runs Apache Web Server,
Tomcat and MySQL (and for some occasions Oracle 8i).

We will be using it for:
- Web Site Hosting
- Application Hosting (like SMS services)
- Virtual Domain Hosting
- Full Domain Hosting

What hardware requirements would be the most suitable (And Why?)

2. /usr/bin/clear: /dev/null: cannot create

3. Linux on MVME2700 board anyone?

4. Solaris 9 system requirements (Sparc requirements)

5. Copy cd playstation with linux

6. Linux GURUs: Help with memory requirements!

7. What Linux ? (need fortran etc.)

8. Memory requirements for server?

9. memory requirements

10. compress memory requirements

11. G40 Spec's and memory requirements

12. Solaris 9 minimum memory requirements