RH4.0 install with 1.2M floppy + network - possible?

RH4.0 install with 1.2M floppy + network - possible?

Post by Michal Szymans » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I am going to upgrade several old machines in my dept. to new RedHat
Linux 4.0. Some of these machines do not have 1.44M floppy drive
(obviously they do not have CDROM, either). They are connected to
the network, so everything I need is to boot them somehow to a
"mini system" supporting NFS and install from the NFS server.
But, the boot floppies are 1.44M, so there is a problem.

Is it possible somehow to use 1.2M floppy or have I to get a 1.44 drive and
temporarily attach it to every machine?

Another related question: to save time and effort, I planned to prepare
one machine, then "tar" the / and /usr partitions, then on all other machines
just boot "mini-system", run fdisk, make disk file systems, un-tar the
/ and /usr from the network, change HOSTNAME, run lilo and be ready (and happy).
I did it many times with old Linux (a.out Slackware) where the boot/root
floppies gave me just the login prompt for the superuser. Now with RedHat 4.0 I
get installation program menus at once. Can I still do it my own way?

Any hints will be appreciated,

regards,

Michal.

  Al. Ujazdowskie 4                   Voice:    48-22-6294011 ext 23
  00-478 Warszawa, POLAND             FAX:      48-22-6294967