Debian Linux -- Question

Post by Mohan Khura » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am a student at Brooklyn Technical High School in New York, and I am
hoping to soon convince some administrators to have some of out server
machines moved to linux.  Before I do this, I would like to learn how
linux and unix in general works.  I have read the installation
document very carefully before I actually buy Infomagic's set of CDs.
I have a  question that related to Debian and Windows95 partitions.

Here is some info on my current system:

A:  3 1/2" Floppy 1.44MB
C:  1.6GB EIDE Western Digital Hard Disk with Win95 on it
D:  2.0GB EIDE Western Digital Hard Disk with a few misc. files, the
drive is formatted FAT
E:  Wearns CDD-620, ATAPI CD-ROM Drive

I would like to have linux take up about 700MB on D: and have the rest
FAT Formatted, since Windows95 is such a space hog.  Here is a little
ASCII diagram:

[--DEBIAN Linux 700MB--|--Win95 Formatted Drive for Programs 1.3GB--]

Okay, I'm not good at diagrams, :) but do you get the idea?

In the "Partition Your Hard Disks" section, I must specify how big I
want the partitions to be.  How would I set this up so that linux uses
certain amount of megabytes on my D: Drive and Windows95 uses what is
left over?

Also... please give me any information relating to having Windows95
and
Linux coexisting.  Does Debian give me an option to install loadlin or
lilo?  If so, where is it?

Thanks for any help.

Debian Linux -- Question

Post by Don Grb » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

   I am a student at Brooklyn Technical High School in New York, and I am
   hoping to soon convince some administrators to have some of out server
   machines moved to linux.  Before I do this, I would like to learn how
   linux and unix in general works.  I have read the installation
   document very carefully before I actually buy Infomagic's set of CDs.
   I have a  question that related to Debian and Windows95 partitions.

snip, snip...

   Also... please give me any information relating to having Windows95
   and
   Linux coexisting.  Does Debian give me an option to install loadlin or
   lilo?  If so, where is it?

   Thanks for any help.

------------

Be cautious about lilo with Debian.  They don't have an autoconfig
setup for lilo.  When I tried Debian 1.1, it trashed my master boot
record and I lost the DOS partition.  Debian may have this fixed by
now, I don't know, but it is a serious problem.

The Red Hat configuration is much safer for lilo, as is Slackware.

Note: The install procedures walk you through this for both Debian and
Red Hat (and Slackware).

Don

The Future is -->Linux<--, the Internet,    and NCC-1701
                 (now)      (not too long)  (a ways off yet)
                                               Don Grbac