unable to connect to X server

Post by michael brunsteine » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

recently i used to torture my linux system (linux 2.0.30, SUSE)
recompiling (gcc-2.8.0) the kernel several times. since i bought
a scanner (mustek 6000 SP) i wanted to get generic scsi-support
when i tried to start xwindows in the end i recieved the
message:

"_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error."

besides that, during booting the computer complained about
a segmentation fault while executing the file command
"hwclock -s $GMT" within the file /sbin/init.d/boot

being quite frustrated i recompiled the kernel once
again using the original configuration and removed the
scanner-card. the segmentation-fault disappeared, but
starting xwindows i still get the same error-message as before.

 ??

i would be very grateful for any hints

mic

--
Michael Brunsteiner

Post by Victor Wagn » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: recently i used to torture my linux system (linux 2.0.30, SUSE)
: recompiling (gcc-2.8.0) the kernel several times. since i bought
: a scanner (mustek 6000 SP) i wanted to get generic scsi-support
: when i tried to start xwindows in the end i recieved the
: message:

: "_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
: giving up.
: xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
: xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error."

Alas, you have posted wrong error message. This message indicates
sympthom of error (some x client, started from .xinitrc or .Xclients)
cannot connect to X server). Real cause of error (probably segfault
of X server itself) was several lines earlier.

Try startx >Xerror.log  2>&1
(in bash)
or
startx >& Xerror.log
(in csh)
and post complete Xerror.log.

But, some more hints:
There was problems reported with recompiling kernel with GCC 2.8.0.
And one of them was that X server don't work after such recompile.
May be this is fixed in recent development kernels, so it would
be fixed in 2.2 kernel series. Meanwhile use some other C compilier
(egcs or gcc 2.7.2) to recompile your kernel.

Search dejanews for kernel and gcc 2.8, may be you'll find more
definitive answer. I, personaly, didn't yet upgraded my gcc from 2.7.2,
becouse I don't use C++.

I have tin news and pine mail...

1. Unable to connect to X server (errno = 111)

Has anyone ever seen the following when trying to start X after a fresh
install?

TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

When I use startx, the screen goes black, then when I switch from one
terminal to another and back, I can see that message, there is also messages
like:
(--) SVGA: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 56.48 kHz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 51.02 kHz. Deleted.

These are all high resolution, no 640x480 type stuff.  I'm at sort of a loss
on this because I've installed X on several machines before and never run
into anything worse than some minor problems with the XF86Config.

System Description:
AMD 5x86 133 processor
Genoa Phantom 64 1 meg ram
Gateway 2000 vivitron 15" monitor
20 meg ram
Ms Mouse
3Com 509 Ethernet card
Slackware 3.1  Linux 2.0.0  (Retrieved about August 12, almost directly
                             after the release)

Thanks!
  Phil
--

Stop businesses from taking your money and running!
The Complaint Desk http://flipside.ucs.bsu.edu/pshaffer/html/complaint.html

2. UP2000 + TNT-II

3. Unable to connect to server errors

4. X problem since 1.3.something

5. Help 5.0.4 Faststart server unable to connect to manager

6. Need help with Bochs for RH 6.0?

7. unable to connect to X server

8. mouse modem conflicts?

9. Netscape Proxy Server is unable to connect...

10. 3.9.17 Problems -- local clients unable to connect to server

11. Qmail, unable to connect to server

12. Unable to connect to FTP server

13. bootup script unable to connect to X server