Post by Marcio DeBarro » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:58:45

After I had some problems with mutli-partitioning  my hard drive, I lost the
ability to boot Linux because grub was somehow afected in the process. I
found some information on the web on how to restore it, which is pretty much
the following:

 At the Grub command prompt, do these commands in order:
 root (hd1,0)
 setup (hd1,0)
 kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro
 boot

Once I select boot, the startup process hangs and give me the message:

If I turn the computer off, and turn on again, the grup menu is restored but
when I try to stratup linux it give me error about not being able to mount
my /root.

Here is what my partition table looked like
dev/hda1 * 1 2317 17516488+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 2522 2535 205840 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 2536 3807 9616320 83 Linux
/dev/hda4 3808 3876 521640 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5 3808 3876 521608+ 82 Linux swap

Any idea on how to solve this.

--
Marcio DeBarros

PO Box 324532 Georgia Tech Station
Atlanta, GA 30332-1010

Post by JP » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:29:23

Quote:> After I had some problems with mutli-partitioning  my hard drive, I lost
the
> ability to boot Linux because grub was somehow afected in the process. I
> found some information on the web on how to restore it, which is pretty
much
> the following:

>  At the Grub command prompt, do these commands in order:
>  root (hd1,0)
>  setup (hd1,0)
>  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro
>  boot

Not that I really know but if its the first disk, shouldn't it be root
(hd0,0) etc etc

Quote:> Once I select boot, the startup process hangs and give me the message:

--
There are 10 types of people in this world...

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:20:36

>  At the Grub command prompt, do these commands in order:
>  root (hd1,0)
>  setup (hd1,0)
>  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro
>  boot
> Once I select boot, the startup process hangs and give me the message:

But the root is on hda1 according to your kernel line. Not hda3!

Quote:> Here is what my partition table looked like
> dev/hda1 * 1 2317 17516488+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Then why is hda1 a  NTFS partition? You said it was the root
partition.

Quote:> /dev/hda2 2522 2535 205840 83 Linux
> /dev/hda3 2536 3807 9616320 83 Linux

and is that your real root?

Quote:> /dev/hda4 3808 3876 521640 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
> /dev/hda5 3808 3876 521608+ 82 Linux swap
> Any idea on how to solve this.

I haven't the faintest idea what you are doing! Why have you said that
the root is hda1, when it looks like it is hda3? Or is it hda2?

Anyway, boot with the right root= line, and have an end to it!

Peter

Post by Timothy Murp » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:49:46

>Not that I really know but if its the first disk, shouldn't it be root
>(hd0,0) etc etc

(hd0,0) = /dev/hda1 = first partition on first disk
(hd0,1) = /dev/hda2 = second partition on first disk

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

Post by Marcio Teixeira DeBarro » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 06:40:44

Here is what I'm (or was) trying to do: The first partition is indeed
where Windows XP is installed. I was looking into creating a FAT
partition so I could swap files between WinXP and Linux. By doing
that I would end up with more that 4 primary or extende partitions
so I used a program similar to Partition Magic to handle that. Once that
happened the new FAT partition was created between the WinXP (hda1) and
the first partition created by Linux (hda2 on the table below). I moved
this partition to the end of the the list and also a small (7 MB)
partition was created to hold the MBR create bu the program. Now, when
this program created its own MBR, its when I started to not be able to
access Linux.

Marcio Teixeira DeBarros

> >  At the Grub command prompt, do these commands in order:
> >  root (hd1,0)
> >  setup (hd1,0)
> >  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro
> >  boot

> > Once I select boot, the startup process hangs and give me the message:
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03

> But the root is on hda1 according to your kernel line. Not hda3!

> > Here is what my partition table looked like
> > dev/hda1 * 1 2317 17516488+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

> Then why is hda1 a  NTFS partition? You said it was the root
> partition.

> > /dev/hda2 2522 2535 205840 83 Linux
> > /dev/hda3 2536 3807 9616320 83 Linux

> and is that your real root?

> > /dev/hda4 3808 3876 521640 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
> > /dev/hda5 3808 3876 521608+ 82 Linux swap

> > Any idea on how to solve this.

> I haven't the faintest idea what you are doing! Why have you said that
> the root is hda1, when it looks like it is hda3? Or is it hda2?

> Anyway, boot with the right root= line, and have an end to it!

> Peter

Post by Marcio Teixeira DeBarro » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 06:43:51

There is only one disk on the system. I mistyped where it
actually it should be (hd0,XX).

Marcio Teixeira DeBarros

> >Not that I really know but if its the first disk, shouldn't it be root
> >(hd0,0) etc etc

> (hd0,0) = /dev/hda1 = first partition on first disk
> (hd0,1) = /dev/hda2 = second partition on first disk

> --
> Timothy Murphy

> tel: 086-233 6090

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:42:15

Quote:>Here is what I'm (or was) trying to do: The first partition is indeed
>where Windows XP is installed. I was looking into creating a FAT
>partition so I could swap files between WinXP and Linux. By doing
>that I would end up with more that 4 primary or extende partitions
>so I used a program similar to Partition Magic to handle that. Once that
>happened the new FAT partition was created between the WinXP (hda1) and
>the first partition created by Linux (hda2 on the table below). I moved
>this partition to the end of the the list and also a small (7 MB)
>partition was created to hold the MBR create bu the program. Now, when
>this program created its own MBR, its when I started to not be able to
>access Linux.

I'm afraid you are rather confused.
You cannot create a partition between two others --
if you succeeded in creating a partition between /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2
then the latter would become /dev/hda3 .
Nor can you move a partition in the way you suggest.
Finally, the MBR is a small segment at the beginning of the disk
outside of all partitions.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

1. Kernel panic: vfs unable to mount root on 03:03 (aaargh!)

Hi,

For the first time in 2 years my linux (v2.0.30) system is down:
at first, after a normal boot it didn't want to run Xwindows. After
rebooting it gave
'Kernel panic: vfs unable to mount root on 03:03'

Running from a boot/root disk it tells me that /hda3
does not contain a ext2 filesystem, while there should be.

If I do a cat /hda3 everything the disk appears to contain data.

I have the following hd layout
/hda1 440 MB vfat filesystem (windows nt)
/hda2 80 MB swap
/hda3 700 MB linux system
other: 2.5 Gb hd, 230 MB scsi hd,48 Mb ram, p133.

There are some essential files on the disk. Any ideas how
to recover the system or the files? Any idea what cause this?

Michel Grimminck

2. CDE EXIT button "shoots the lights out"

3. VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:03 ???

4. Hardware Hangup

5. kernel panic: VFS: Cannot Open Root Device 03:03

6. 'telnet' client fails when 'named' is up on server !!

7. kernel panic cant find vfs root 03:03

8. Solaris 10 - How to update OS to latest build

9. Kernel Panic can't mount FS on 03:03

10. Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 0:1:00

11. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs...

12. Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs

13. Help: Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs