Win98/RHL 5.0 partitioning on new drive

Post by Boba Fe » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

What is the best way to partition a new 6.4 GB drive (with LBA
support) to allow for a good installation of both Win98 and RHL 5.0?
Also, which utilities should i use to create the partitions, ie msdos
fdisk for Win98 and disk druid for RHL 5.0?  In what order should i
create them?

i was thinking something like 4 GB to Win98, 2.4 GB to Linux (and the
various required partitions).  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Bobafett

Win98/RHL 5.0 partitioning on new drive

Post by howard man » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> What is the best way to partition a new 6.4 GB drive (with LBA
> support) to allow for a good installation of both Win98 and RHL 5.0?
> Also, which utilities should i use to create the partitions, ie msdos
> fdisk for Win98 and disk druid for RHL 5.0?  In what order should i
> create them?

> i was thinking something like 4 GB to Win98, 2.4 GB to Linux (and the
> various required partitions).  Any ideas?  Thanks.

I have suggestions for you at: www.xmission.com/~howardm/install.html

Cheers,

--
Howard Mann

http://www.xmission.com/~howardm

1. Mounting a FAT partition in RHL 5.0

To all:

I have my computer set up with Windows 98 on the first 1.5 Gigs on my
3.5 Gig harddrive.  After loading Win98, I set up RHL 5.0 with all
appropriate partitions including a DOS 16 >=32M shared partition so that
I can share files between Win 98 and Linux.

Although in Linux, I can't seem to mount the shared partition
correctly.  I'm probably missing some parameter but I just don't know.

The command I'm using is:  mount /dev/hda8 /mnt.  After that, Linux
keeps telling me that I have to specify the filesystem.  This is where
I'm a little stuck.

Am I missing a certain parameter?  If so, could someone please tell me.
Sorry, I'm a sort of a newbie with Linux.

Thanks,

Ben

2. Anyone using multiple 'heads' on a Solaris x86 system?

3. RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

4. Backspace on XFree86-3.1.2 doesn't work?

5. Partition Magic 5.0: Multi-boot with Win2k, Linux, Win98

6. Weird Mandrake7.1/Windows interaction regarding partitions

7. Create new partition before boot partition on hard drive

8. stupid question...how to unzip ZIP files in unix

9. How to loading new file system on a new hard drive partition?

10. New User: INSTAL ON WIN98 (FAT32) partition

11. win98/fat32, new install, partitioning Q's

12. How to dual boot Linux and win98 with a partitioned hard drive

13. Problem with re-partitioning win98 drive