Help getting HP SureStore Tape 6000 working under Redhat 6.2

Help getting HP SureStore Tape 6000 working under Redhat 6.2

Post by David L. Parta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings,

I have a RH 6.2 machine with an HP SureStore Tape 6000 attached to it
that I had hoped to use for backups.  I had planned to use plain ol'
dump for doing this, but things seem not to work as I had hoped, and I'm
a bit stumped.  I don't want to get into amanda for a single machine.

So, here's what I have:
# scsi_info  /dev/nst0
SCSI_ID="0,4,0"
MODEL="HP C1533A"
FW_REV="9503"

# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x24 (DDS-2).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
 ONLINE IM_REP_EN

So, it seems to understand what's there.  However, if I do a:

# tar cvf /dev/nst0c tmp

to dump something to the tape, it seems to work fine, but if I then do

# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

I get i/o errors, and it doesn't appear to have written anything.  Then,
if I look at the status again, it's still at file 0.

Until I can get this working, I'm sure I can't do dumps since I need to
be able to do multiple file systems per tape.

I'm sure I'm doing really stupid, so I'd be very grateful for any help
you might be able to offer.  All I want to do is to be able to do dumps
of this machine and a nearby Sun occasionally....

Cheers,

--
David Partain

Help getting HP SureStore Tape 6000 working under Redhat 6.2

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> # tar cvf /dev/nst0c tmp

Could it be that you want

tar fvc /dev/nst0c tmp

?

1. HP Surestore Tape 6000 won't append Sybase dumps - help?

Hi, All

Sorry for the x-posting.

We have an HP Surestore 6000 (C1529F) 8G DDS-2 tape drive which is connected as
target 4 on a Sun Enterprise 1 (Ultra) machine.

It works fine at the OS level, say doing repeated tars to /dev/rmt/0n will
append no problem.

But with Sybase, doing a dump with init followed by a dump in append (default)
mode, to tapedevice (/dev/rmt/0n) results in an I/O error at Sybase level, but
nothing at OS level.

So my question is, does anybody know if there is anything that needs to be added
to st.conf for this particular model of tape drive?

Anybody with any ideas?

Thanks all.

--

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...

<<< Would sixty gallons be sufficient? -- Robby the Robot >>>

2. Can my 3 button mouse systems mouse be used as a 3 button mouse from a ps2 port?

3. HP SureStore Tape 6000 & Linux

4. System.map problem!

5. how we know what has been save in HP surestore 6000 in rh 9.0?

6. Zaurus icon

7. HP SureStore 6000

8. cancel <cbng4r$ljj$1@colwyn.zhadum.de>

9. Stp: Unexpected internal error on HP SureStore 6000 DAT

10. tape parameters for HP JetStore 6000 4mm DAT drive, DDS2 120m tapes?

11. Advisory on HP Surestore external DAT tape on HP Netserve

12. RedHat 6.2 + HP tapereader, does it work ?