Eric S. Raymond speaking at San Francisco BALUG

Eric S. Raymond speaking at San Francisco BALUG

Post by Arthur F. Tyde II » Mon, 06 May 2002 15:02:08

SPECIAL EVENT on Tuesday May 7th in San Francisco!

Please pass the word around- sorry this is so last minute but it's a great

opportunity to hear an excellent speaker.

ERIC S. RAYMOND - Featured Speaker

On May 7th (that's right ... NOT the third Tuesday, but an amazingly,

incredulously early-in-the-month FIRST Tuesday... (please note this is in

ADDITION to our regular Third Tuesday gathering at Four Seas Restaurant in

Chinatown, SF.)

ERIC S. RAYMOND will speak to BALUG from 7:00 - 9:00 PM on Tuesday, May 7th

at the Renaissance Stanford Court in San Francisco. He will be in the "India

Room" on the lower level of the hotel. This is a "BYOR" -- bring your own

refreshments -- event. The hotel is located in Nob Hill at 905 California

Street between Powell and Mason. The hotel's number is (415) 989-3500. We've

some useful directions how to get there too.

Thanks All! Art...

--

Arthur F. Tyde III

Bay Area Linux Users Group

http://www.balug.org

tel: 1-415-389-3822 fax: 1-415-354-3342

Eric S. Raymond speaking at San Francisco BALUG

Post by Jim Krog » Tue, 07 May 2002 02:49:47

Er.....I know Linux fans already know this, but for us newcomers
posting here in linux.setup, who is Eric Raymond?

Didn't he star as Perry Mason on some old TV show? You mean HE uses
Linux too?

Jim

--
Watch out for spam block

List of 30 online jazz guitar instruction websites:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimkk/jazzfast.html

Post by Grant Edwar » Tue, 07 May 2002 03:33:49

> Er.....I know Linux fans already know this, but for us newcomers
> posting here in linux.setup, who is Eric Raymond?

A bit of googling would have found you at:

  http://tuxedo.org/~esr/

Among other things, he wrote the book "The Cathedral and the
Bazaar" and various bits of software like fetchmail.

Quote:> Didn't he star as Perry Mason on some old TV show? You mean HE uses
> Linux too?

Doesn't everybody?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Were these parsnips
                                  at               CORRECTLY MARINATED in

Post by Steve Marti » Tue, 07 May 2002 03:37:09

> Er.....I know Linux fans already know this, but for us newcomers
> posting here in linux.setup, who is Eric Raymond?

Okay, who's gonna go first??

Post by Christopher Brown » Tue, 07 May 2002 04:12:15

>> Er.....I know Linux fans already know this, but for us newcomers
>> posting here in linux.setup, who is Eric Raymond?

> Okay, who's gonna go first??

Some have taken the high road; you might consider a more critical
view, describing him from a "slamming" perspective :-).
--

http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/unix.html
Rules of the Evil Overlord #38. "If  an enemy I have just killed has a

Eric S. Raymond speaking at San Francisco BALUG

Post by Christopher Brown » Tue, 07 May 2002 04:22:44

Quote:> Er.....I know Linux fans already know this, but for us newcomers
> posting here in linux.setup, who is Eric Raymond?

> Didn't he star as Perry Mason on some old TV show? You mean HE uses
> Linux too?

Eric Raymond is the guy who championed the creation of the term "open
source," and convinced Netscape to release Mozilla in "open source"
form.

He's also noted as:
 a) Maintainer of fetchmail,
 b) Maintainer (not author, for the most part) of the Hackers'
    Dictionary,
 c) Controversial speaker, combining doses of libertarianism,
    gun advocacy, and "open source software."
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/x.html
"Unless you're on  the Forbes' richest 100 list,  you're not a market,

Eric S. Raymond speaking at San Francisco BALUG

Post by Rinaldi J. Montess » Tue, 07 May 2002 05:24:31

Quote:> Eric Raymond is the guy who championed the creation of the term "open
> source," and convinced Netscape to release Mozilla in "open source"
> form.

> He's also noted as:
>  a) Maintainer of fetchmail,
>  b) Maintainer (not author, for the most part) of the Hackers'
>     Dictionary,
>  c) Controversial speaker, combining doses of libertarianism,
>     gun advocacy, and "open source software."

I see nothing controversial there.

Rinaldi
--
Aint Nobody's Business If You Do

Eric S. Raymond speaking at San Francisco BALUG

Post by Wayne Thro » Tue, 07 May 2002 05:32:02

:: Eric Raymond is []
::  a) Maintainer of fetchmail,
::  b) Maintainer (not author, for the most part) of the Hackers'
::     Dictionary,
::  c) Controversial speaker, combining doses of libertarianism,
::     gun advocacy, and "open source software."

: I see nothing controversial there.

If you fail to see pro-gun free-software libertarianism
as "nothing controversial", I conclude you either don't get
out much, or don't know what "controversial" means.

Hint: it doesn't mean "me and a couple other folks disagree with it".

But then... that's just what *I* conclude.  YMMV.

Post by Jim Krog » Tue, 07 May 2002 07:17:43

>:: Eric Raymond is []
>::  a) Maintainer of fetchmail,
>::  b) Maintainer (not author, for the most part) of the Hackers'
>::     Dictionary,
>::  c) Controversial speaker, combining doses of libertarianism,
>::     gun advocacy,fThey are  and "open source software."

>: I see nothing controversial there.

>If you fail to see pro-gun free-software libertarianism
>as "nothing controversial", I conclude you either don't get
>out much, or don't know what "controversial" means.

>Hint: it doesn't mean "me and a couple other folks disagree with it".

>But then... that's just what *I* conclude.  YMMV.

They are all consistent. If I want to do something, the government
shouldn't stop me.

For example:

Person A
libertarianism:      let the market shape business policy without
                government regulation

pro gun:                I want to shoot them businessmen, and the
                dang government shouldn't stop me

free software:  After I shoot them businessmen, I'm gonna
                give away all their source code. Or sell it, since
                it's OK to make a profit any way the market
                supports.

Person B
libertarianism: It's just because of jokers like A that we are
                going to get the government to arrest people
                who violate our copyrights, and put those businesses
                that don't obey our copyrights out of business,
                and the government better not stop us because this is
                our business practice and the market supports it.

pro gun:                Just as long as the government doesn't have
                guns, it's OK by me.

free software:  Look, we're going to go broke if we have to keep
                paying for accountants, but we can copy
                their accounting software. They should have
                lowered their prices....

--
Watch out for spam block

List of 30 online jazz guitar instruction websites:

Post by Jim Krog » Tue, 07 May 2002 07:22:53

>> Er.....I know Linux fans already know this, but for us newcomers
>> posting here in linux.setup, who is Eric Raymond?

>A bit of googling would have found you at:

My mom told me it isn't polite to google.

Jim

--
Watch out for spam block

List of 30 online jazz guitar instruction websites:

Post by Wayne Thro » Tue, 07 May 2002 08:52:20

:::: Eric Raymond is []
::::  a) Maintainer of fetchmail,
::::  b) Maintainer (not author, for the most part) of the Hackers'
::::     Dictionary,
::::  c) Controversial speaker, combining doses of libertarianism,
::::     gun advocacy,fThey are  and "open source software."

::: I see nothing controversial there.

::If you fail to see pro-gun free-software libertarianism
::as "nothing controversial", I conclude you either don't get
::out much, or don't know what "controversial" means.

: They are all consistent.

Which, of course, has nothing to do with whether they are controversial.

    http://work.ucsd.edu:5141/cgi-bin/http_webster?isindex=controversial

    controversial adj : marked by or capable of arousing controversy;
    "the issue of the death penalty is highly controversial"; "Rushdie's
    controversial book"; "a controversial decision on affirmative action"

Post by Rinaldi J. Montess » Tue, 07 May 2002 09:49:04

>:: Eric Raymond is []
>::  a) Maintainer of fetchmail,
>::  b) Maintainer (not author, for the most part) of the Hackers'
>::     Dictionary,
>::  c) Controversial speaker, combining doses of libertarianism,
>::     gun advocacy, and "open source software."

>: I see nothing controversial there.

> If you fail to see pro-gun free-software libertarianism
> as "nothing controversial", I conclude you either don't get
> out much, or don't know what "controversial" means.

> Hint: it doesn't mean "me and a couple other folks disagree with it".

> But then... that's just what *I* conclude.  YMMV.

You see?  We can disagree without controversy.  I am a free market
conservative.  I don't own a gun but I carried one for 23 years.  I use
open source software.

What's any of this have to do with linux...  Oh, that's right.  The
BALUG speaker.

Rinaldi
--

Post by Rusty Shackelfor » Tue, 07 May 2002 09:57:22

> pro gun:           I want to shoot them businessmen, and the
>            dang government shouldn't stop me

> free software:     After I shoot them businessmen, I'm gonna
>            give away all their source code. Or sell it, since it's OK to make a
>            profit any way the market supports.

Pro gun people don't WANT to shoot anybody
Pro gun people don't want you to have to either!

Wacked out psycos that know nothing about freedom WANT to shoot people.

-RS

Wish I could get away from podunk for a few days, I'd be there!!

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Tue, 07 May 2002 11:57:48

> :: Eric Raymond is []
> ::  a) Maintainer of fetchmail,
> ::  b) Maintainer (not author, for the most part) of the Hackers'
> ::     Dictionary,
> ::  c) Controversial speaker, combining doses of libertarianism,
> ::     gun advocacy, and "open source software."

> : I see nothing controversial there.

> If you fail to see pro-gun free-software libertarianism
> as "nothing controversial", I conclude you either don't get
> out much, or don't know what "controversial" means.

Open Source != Free Software. Be very clear on the distinctiions between the
two.

Like the differences between Jesus Christ as Man and Jesus Christ as Ghod,
they may seem silly to outsiders, but to True Believers it matters a lot.

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Tue, 07 May 2002 12:00:10

> > pro gun: I want to shoot them businessmen, and the
> > dang government shouldn't stop me

> > free software: After I shoot them businessmen, I'm gonna
> > give away all their source code. Or sell it, since it's OK to make a
> > profit any way the market supports.

> Pro gun people don't WANT to shoot anybody
> Pro gun people don't want you to have to either!

> Wacked out psycos that know nothing about freedom WANT to shoot people.

> -RS

*sigh*. Trolls are a coming.

If you want to understand the history of the Free Software movement, take a
look at www.fsf.org and read up on Richard Stallman's beliefs. If you want
to read up on Open Source, which is critically different in a number of
ways, look for their stuff.