Login error - No directory /home/me!

Post by Kurt Rupprech » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Whem I shut my machine down last night after a tweaking seesion with
AnotherLevel every thing was running fine.  This morning when I tried to
login as the user "me" I got the following error:

No directory /home/me!

It flashes on the screen very quickly and returns to the login prompt.
I can still login as root no problem, and the /home/me directory is
still there.  I know that the ! after the directory name is the key, but
I don't know what it means.  I first thought that the directory had been
locked somehow, in the fashion of a lock file.  But those lock files
have the ! in front of the file name (for example !lock in the netscape
directory when netscape is running.)  I did a man search for lock, but
that was not fruitful.  I am at a loss.  I have to repartition this
drive anyway, so I will just backup my scripts and rc's and reinstall,
but I still want to know *WHAT IT MEANS!!!*   Thanks for you help!

--
"The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.
 The goal of nature is to build better mice."

http://www.aa.net/~kurtr

Login error - No directory /home/me!

Post by Tim N. van der Leeu » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Just an odd suggestion, but what does your /etc/passwd file look like?
For user 'me', what is the home-directory specified there - does it
have this ! at the end of the directory name perhaps?

--TNL

Post by M. Buchenried » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Whem I shut my machine down last night after a tweaking seesion with
>AnotherLevel every thing was running fine.  This morning when I tried to
>login as the user "me" I got the following error:
>No directory /home/me!

You messed up the permissions on either the directory /home/me
or on the root directory itself ( / ) . This often happens if installing
programs/packages directly under / .

Quote:>It flashes on the screen very quickly and returns to the login prompt.
>I can still login as root no problem, and the /home/me directory is
>still there.

[...]

See above. Do a "ls -la" on / and make sure that it does have
mode 755 .

Michael

Satellite Safety Tip #4:
                If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.

Post by Victor Wagn » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: Whem I shut my machine down last night after a tweaking seesion with
: AnotherLevel every thing was running fine.  This morning when I tried to
: login as the user "me" I got the following error:

: No directory /home/me!

Log in as root and check permissions on / /home and /home/me

Last time when such thing happens to me it was some script which should
process /etc/passwd and put files into each user home directory,
but while I've debugged it screwed up permissions for / (have you ever
thought that / has normal inode, like any other file)
After that only root and user which was last in /etc/passwd could login

: It flashes on the screen very quickly and returns to the login prompt.
: I can still login as root no problem, and the /home/me directory is
: still there.  I know that the ! after the directory name is the key, but
Check your /etc/passwd  if ! was somehow appear there.

: I don't know what it means.  I first thought that the directory had been
: locked somehow, in the fashion of a lock file.  But those lock files
: have the ! in front of the file name (for example !lock in the netscape
: directory when netscape is running.)  I did a man search for lock, but
: that was not fruitful.  I am at a loss.  I have to repartition this
: drive anyway, so I will just backup my scripts and rc's and reinstall,
: but I still want to know *WHAT IT MEANS!!!*   Thanks for you help!

: --

Post by gippa » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> : Whem I shut my machine down last night after a tweaking seesion with
> : AnotherLevel every thing was running fine.  This morning when I tried to
> : login as the user "me" I got the following error:

> : No directory /home/me!

> Log in as root and check permissions on / /home and /home/me

> Last time when such thing happens to me it was some script which should
> process /etc/passwd and put files into each user home directory,
> but while I've debugged it screwed up permissions for / (have you ever
> thought that / has normal inode, like any other file)
> After that only root and user which was last in /etc/passwd could login

Another thing that's not so obvious is that the login daemon goes out
from the root's home directory, so if the .. permissions in that
directory are not go+rx, no one other than root will be able to log in.

1. Login Error -- getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

Greetings,

Today, I started noticing a weird error message when I login to my
Linux box.

shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: No such file or directory

It seems like all users get this message if they login.  Same goes for
root.

Everything still seems to work alright.  I can see my home directory.
I can see the parent directory.  What gives?

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this?  Anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

-j

2. ldap.conf and Netware

3. fail to login to home directory as user root!

4. DIP/PPP Connection Question

5. FTP Server Secured logins and home directory

6. System crash: no UFS

7. Linux2.0: can not login, home directory not found!

8. Thread won't switch from real time scheduling policy to 'other'

9. Switching Home Directory Via Login Menu?

10. Reject login if invalid home directory

11. Login to wrong user home directory

12. how to print other users login shell and home directory

13. User logins can't find home directory.