X, Banshee, SVGA Server stuff

Post by DAYPAS » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello.

I am new to Linux. I am not sure how it works yet (servers, drivers etc so
if I call things the wrong names forgive me:).  I am using the 2.1.131
kernel for this stuff:
I have set up my Creative Labs Blaster Banshee with Linux (I think).
I can actually start in console mode with different displays and stuff.
I have my XF86Config file set up with the XF86_FBDev server as my server
(instead of the SVGA one or others) and the frame buffer device is all set
up.  I thought that X looks at this file when it loads and then, if the link
is correct, it will load whatever it says in the XF86Config file.  But when
I startx, it always looks for my scitech server and won't load.  There is no
mention of it in my XF86Config and I am wondering where its comming from.
Q1: Are there other files in which X looks for the X-server when loading?
Q2: Should I uninstall scitech display doc?(I don't know why I should need
to..)

Thanks for any response.
remove jinglebells from address

X, Banshee, SVGA Server stuff

Post by Sydney Weidma » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello.

> I am new to Linux. I am not sure how it works yet (servers, drivers etc so
> if I call things the wrong names forgive me:).  I am using the 2.1.131
> kernel for this stuff:
> I have set up my Creative Labs Blaster Banshee with Linux (I think).
> I can actually start in console mode with different displays and stuff.
> I have my XF86Config file set up with the XF86_FBDev server as my server
> (instead of the SVGA one or others) and the frame buffer device is all set
> up.  I thought that X looks at this file when it loads and then, if the link
> is correct, it will load whatever it says in the XF86Config file.  But when
> I startx, it always looks for my scitech server and won't load.  There is no
> mention of it in my XF86Config and I am wondering where its comming from.
> Q1: Are there other files in which X looks for the X-server when loading?
> Q2: Should I uninstall scitech display doc?(I don't know why I should need
> to..)

> Thanks for any response.
> remove jinglebells from address

I had a problem like that before - I was editing the wrong copy of XF86Config (
Doh! ). The one that my xfree86 uses on my machine is located in
/etc/X11/XF86Config. Is that the file you are editing?

1. xserver-svga & Banshee

Is it me or are others having frame buffer problems with the SVGA Xserver?
I've got xserver-svga running the generic Banshee driver to support my
Creative Labs 3D Blaster Banshee and WindowMaker as the Window Manager on
Debian.  Particularly screen refreshes don't occur properly leaving ghost
text or boxes behind.  Sometimes boxes are filled black.  Other times
buttons within programs such as Xchat appear indented but when the mouse
arrow is hovered over the button it goes into an unindented view and stays
that way until I iconify the app and bring it back up.  Any assistance would
is greatly appreciated.  :-)

- Ken

2. X Win in Linux

3. SVGA Lib Stuff?

4. Problème avec carte graphique ATI Xpert@play 4Mo AGP

5. Getting trash from some Svga stuff!

6. Does Fresco work with XFree86 / Linux ?

7. SVGA server startup xf86OpenConsole: Server must be suid root

8. TAR files

9. How to install SVGA server after already installing vga16 server?

10. Problems changing from XF86 SVGA Server to S3 Server

11. Oak SVGA-->?, 2 X questions, Oak Svga patch

12. Xconfig for REALTEK SVGA car&SVGA NI monitor ????

13. Banshee X-Server with DGA 1.1