MediaVision SCSI CD (Tandy3100) not recognized

MediaVision SCSI CD (Tandy3100) not recognized

Post by Ron Carpent » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have a Tandy 3100 with a MediaVision Jazz16 sound card, to which the
MediaVision SCSI CD drive attaches.  Linux says  0 scsi found...
I've dug thru the HOWTO's (SCSI,CD,hardware,sound) but can't find a clue.
HELP!  (what other info do I need to gather? If from Win3.1, where/how?)

MediaVision SCSI CD (Tandy3100) not recognized

Post by Gilbert Ramirez Jr » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Tandy 3100 with a MediaVision Jazz16 sound card, to which the
> MediaVision SCSI CD drive attaches.  Linux says  0 scsi found...
> I've dug thru the HOWTO's (SCSI,CD,hardware,sound) but can't find a clue.
> HELP!  (what other info do I need to gather? If from Win3.1, where/how?)

I too have a MediaVision SCSI CD-ROM.  I compiled the kernel using the
ProAudio SCSI CD-ROM option, and like your situation, it didn't work.  I
re-compiled for a Q-Logic CD-ROM, and now it works perfectly.

--gilbert

1. MediaVision SCSI and MediaVision CDROM - not good

Hi all!

I'm attempting to mount/access/boot linux from CD.  I have
the following hardware:

        CPU:            Compaq Presario 650 (486DX2/50)
        Sound card:     ProAudio Specrtum 16 (MediaVision)
        CD-ROM:         Media Vision CDR-H93MV Rev. 1.32 (Feb 94)

Original problem - when booting kernel use to get:

        Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, id 1, lun0
        scsi0: resetting for second half of retries,

        ... and then the system hangs ...

Got past it by rebuilding kernel with methods below.  The hints
were provided to me by users on the net (thanks Olav, Alex).

Built one kernel with the drive that I have inserted in
the black list of scsi.c.

The other kernel defines "NO_MULTI_LUN" in scsi.c so that
the kernel does not check for multiple logical unit unmbers.

The CD-ROM is defined in fstab as follows:

    /dev/sr0         /mnt/CD         iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro

Now my current problem is - mounting the CD-ROM. When I try to mount the
drive
with the mount command.

     mount /mnt/CD

The CD-ROM drive access light becomes active.  The system waits for about
five
minutes.  The the following message pops up.  Another weird thing is that
when
linux is booted I cannot open the CD-ROM door - the open button has become
disabled.

mount: wrong fs type, /dev/sr0 already mounted, /mnt/CD busy, or other
error

The kernel is built with iso9660 file type, the drive is not mounted
so I don't think it is busy.  So ... it must be "other error" ...

Also used maknod to build /dev/sr0 with major number 11 minor 0.

Also download the new distribution and rebuilt new kernels with the same
results.

Any ideas what this other error could be?  And more importantly how I can
get
around it?  Please reply by mail my news access is flakey at best.

2. tcpdump -> truncated-ip

3. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI CD-ROM SCSI TAPE

4. Is there documentation about the options in the kernel ?

5. SCSI: MediaVision portable 2x CD-Rom w/SCSI card

6. a question

7. Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM not recognized

8. Why does login hang, and how do I fix?

9. CD ROM SCSI NOT RECOGNIZED BY LINUX. Help !

10. NCR5380 SCSI CD Recognized by OS but Not by Setup HELP!!!

11. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI CD-ROM and TAPE

12. SCSI Recognises Host but not CD Player ??

13. NEC SCSI CD-ROM drive CDR-210 rev. 1.0 is not recognized