xfree86 on a dell inspiron laptop

Post by Madhu Balasubramania » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

hello there,
i have a dell inspiron - svga tft display and an NM2070 card. I have
been unable to get xfree86 to work in a decent mode. it only works when
X is linked to the 16 color vga server and if svge server is seletced,
then the resolution is taken to be only 320x200 and that looks really
huge and pathetic.
the problem is i am unable to get the horiz and vert freq for the
display as it is not listed in the manual. anyone knows someway of
finding out how to get that information?
also is there anyway I can manually alter the xfree86config file to get
this thing to work in a much better resiolution than just a vga 16 color
mode?

thanks in advance
madhu

700 Woodland Avenue #B-204                home: (606)323-9943
Lexington KY-40508                        work: (606)257-8739
   url: http://madhu.ccs.uky.edu

Post by Stephen D » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>hello there,
>i have a dell inspiron - svga tft display and an NM2070 card. I have
>been unable to get xfree86 to work in a decent mode. it only works when
>X is linked to the 16 color vga server and if svge server is seletced,
>then the resolution is taken to be only 320x200 and that looks really
>huge and pathetic.

Hi,

I have run into the same problem recently with my notebook, which has
a NM2093 chipset.  XFree86 doesn't provide support for this particular
chipset, which is why you can only get 320x200 when you do try to use
the generic SVGA server.

You have two options.  One is to stick with the VGA_16 server as your
X server.  The second is to obtain an accelerated X server suitable
for this chipset.  There isn't one freely available, as far as I
know, but you can buy it from Xi Graphics (go to
"http://www.xinside.com" for more details).  You can download a demo
version and try it out first; so far, it's worked fine on my system.
Unfortunately, the price is a bit steep, which makes me hesitant
to order this software -- I would think twice, unless you absolutely
require more than 16 colors (or some kind soul indicates that a
cheaper alternative is available).

Quote:>the problem is i am unable to get the horiz and vert freq for the
>display as it is not listed in the manual. anyone knows someway of
>finding out how to get that information?

xvidtune -- but in this case, you probably don't want to use it to
tune *anything*, just to display this info.

Quote:>also is there anyway I can manually alter the xfree86config file to get
>this thing to work in a much better resiolution than just a vga 16 color
>mode?

There's really nothing you can do with the config file to address
this problem.  What you need is an X server that supports your chipset.

Stephen

1. Dell Inspiron 2600 Laptop + RedHat 7.3 + XFree86 4.2 = bad refresh rate

Hello,
I managed to get XFree up and running on my laptop, but I'm running into
problems with X. First, I can only get XFree to work at 1024x768 in 8-bit
mode only; 16-bit and 24-bit don't seem to work. My other problem is that

all blurred. I have to move the window off the screen and slowly move it
back into view. Then maybe, just maybe, the text is drawn.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

System:
Dell Inspiron 2600
P3 GHz
Intel 82830M 32MB Video Card
Synaptics Touchpad

2. disk crash

3. X configuration for Dell laptop Inspiron 7000?

4. Apache 1.3.9 query - unusual (?) IP address + password access controls

5. Linux on Dell Inspiron 7000 Laptop

6. Error compiling dosemu49pl4 w/gcc 2.5.8

7. Dell Inspiron 3800 Laptop

8. Looking for lockd statd info

9. newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

10. REPOST: pcmcia on a Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop

11. Dell Inspiron 3200 (laptop) + RH 5.x

12. LapTop (Dell Inspiron) Help!

13. Solaris 8 on Dell Inspiron Laptop - Configuring graphics