'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

Post by Mal Stainke » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:15:32

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Red Hat 7.0 on my old Pentium 120, 32 MB ram, 2GB hdd.

As you can see I don't have a lot of HDD space. I have managed to delete
enough stuff to get about 1mb free. But I can't get win95's defrag program
to properly compact the files. I have lots of little unmovable files
scattered over my 1GB of free space, so I can only get Presizer (which I am
using to resize my existing partition) to free up 1.6 MB  :(

I have tried using a program to reset the attributes on my files changing
all the read only, system and hidden files I could find, but I suspect these
unmovable
file may not be able to be moved because windows is using them. I think I
need a better defragemting program. Just to make things more fun my 1.44FDD
is stuffed so I can only boot from the CDRW.

Any help would be great.

--
bye for now
            Mal

"Don't think..... feel"     Bruce Lee
"Feel......don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:51:08

Hi!
Files that cannot be moved are used by the OS. Any programm that will do it will
muck-up the system properly and you will have to reinstall.
So either prepare youself to this possibility or get another drive, hang it
someplace in the box and

Have fun

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

> Hi all,

> I'm trying to install Red Hat 7.0 on my old Pentium 120, 32 MB ram, 2GB hdd.

> As you can see I don't have a lot of HDD space. I have managed to delete
> enough stuff to get about 1mb free. But I can't get win95's defrag program
> to properly compact the files. I have lots of little unmovable files
> scattered over my 1GB of free space, so I can only get Presizer (which I am
> using to resize my existing partition) to free up 1.6 MB  :(

> I have tried using a program to reset the attributes on my files changing
> all the read only, system and hidden files I could find, but I suspect these
> unmovable
> file may not be able to be moved because windows is using them. I think I
> need a better defragemting program. Just to make things more fun my 1.44FDD
> is stuffed so I can only boot from the CDRW.

> Any help would be great.

> --
> bye for now
>             Mal

> "Don't think..... feel"     Bruce Lee
> "Feel......don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

Post by Graham Stewar » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:34:54

Get Norton Speeddisk - it's a far better defrag tool

You could also try defragging in dos mode since there are less static files
there.

> Hi!
> Files that cannot be moved are used by the OS. Any programm that will do
it will
> muck-up the system properly and you will have to reinstall.
> So either prepare youself to this possibility or get another drive, hang
it
> someplace in the box and

> Have fun

> Stanislaw.
> Slack user from Ulladulla.

> > Hi all,

> > I'm trying to install Red Hat 7.0 on my old Pentium 120, 32 MB ram, 2GB
hdd.

> > As you can see I don't have a lot of HDD space. I have managed to delete
> > enough stuff to get about 1mb free. But I can't get win95's defrag
program
> > to properly compact the files. I have lots of little unmovable files
> > scattered over my 1GB of free space, so I can only get Presizer (which I
am
> > using to resize my existing partition) to free up 1.6 MB  :(

> > I have tried using a program to reset the attributes on my files
changing
> > all the read only, system and hidden files I could find, but I suspect
these
> > unmovable
> > file may not be able to be moved because windows is using them. I think
> > need a better defragemting program. Just to make things more fun my
1.44FDD
> > is stuffed so I can only boot from the CDRW.

> > Any help would be great.

> > --
> > bye for now
> >             Mal

> > "Don't think..... feel"     Bruce Lee
> > "Feel......don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

Post by Mal Stainke » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:06:16

Quote:

> You could also try defragging in dos mode since there are less static
files
> there.

That's what I was hoping to do, but if I go to dos mode and use defrag I get
a need MS windows message. I am looking for a shareware dos based defrag
program.

--
bye for now
            Mal

"Don't think..... feel"     Bruce Lee
"Feel......don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

Post by Mal Stainke » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:13:14

Quote:> So either prepare youself to this possibility or get another drive, hang
it
> someplace in the box and
> Have fun

> Stanislaw.

I was hoping to avoid that since I just sunk some money on the CDR :) If I
KNEW I could get red hat to run with my old hardware I would just run fdisk
and use all of my HDD for linux

But having put red hat on my other system, IBM 550mhz 10GB (partitioned in
two) 64MB we are having lots of trouble getting the modem to work (correct
setting but won't recognise the modem so I suspect a 'winmodem') so I still
need windows on it at the moment so we can get on the net to download howto
files.

--
bye for now
            Mal

"Don't think..... feel"     Bruce Lee
"Feel......don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

Post by John Thompso » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:14:31

> > You could also try defragging in dos mode since there are less static
> files
> > there.

> That's what I was hoping to do, but if I go to dos mode and use defrag I get
> a need MS windows message. I am looking for a shareware dos based defrag
> program.

It's been a while, but I seem to recall a directory on the Win95
CD containing the old DOS tools to use from DOS mode.  I can't
find a Win95 CD around here to check, though.

--

1. *** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

Greetings everybody!

Installed linux a couple of weeks ago. I really like the way it works.

I am having a progblem though Windows '95 won't boot up.

The reason being is that I formated the linux drive as a linux file system
and therefore both dos and win'95 won't recognise it anymore.

This puts Windows '95 on a different drive than it should be and when I
try to boot-up it says "Can't find Win.com" among other  stuff.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

2. No Sound Card.............

3. Need Help with LILO it won't boot 95

4. My modem doesn't work

5. Help needed with Motorola 28.8 modem - Win'95 better than linux???

6. Wordperfekt 8.0

7. Why won't win 95 enforce authentication from my nmb/smb servers.

8. Problem with kstat

9. Upp'd to Win'95, lost LICO

10. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

11. Upp'd to Win '95, Lost LILO

12. Help please:gcc 2.95.2 and libstdc++ 2.90.8 won't compile

13. OpenServer 5 won't install with Windows 95 -- Please HELP!