Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1

Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1

Post by Darin » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:38:20

Help!?

I am a newbie so be gentle ;)
I have a Toshiba Satellite 110CS on which I have installed RH 7.1.  I have
a Netgear FA411 ethernet card (says on box it is supported by Linux, haha)
and I can't get it to run.  I was able to install RH 7.0 at first and was
able (with help of a friend) to use the pcmcia card to download the
contents of both RH 7.1 cds and installed an upgrade to 7.1.  As soon as we
completed the installation we could never again get the card to work.
Everytime the machine boots up I get an error when it comes to "Bringing up
interface eth0" it fails and says Insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused
by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters"

I have tried using tsetup (toshiba laptop cmos setup) to change the
external serial port to Com2, Com3 etc and finally disabled to prevent any
potential interrupt conflicts.  I have spent a couple of days researching
this on the net and with my friend and still have not found an answer.  If
anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks

Darin
--
If you want to reply by email just  lose the  n-o-s-p-a-m

Post by me.. » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:12:28

> Help!?

> I am a newbie so be gentle ;)
> I have a Toshiba Satellite 110CS on which I have installed RH 7.1.  I have
> a Netgear FA411 ethernet card (says on box it is supported by Linux, haha)
> and I can't get it to run.  I was able to install RH 7.0 at first and was
> able (with help of a friend) to use the pcmcia card to download the
> contents of both RH 7.1 cds and installed an upgrade to 7.1.  As soon as we
> completed the installation we could never again get the card to work.
> Everytime the machine boots up I get an error when it comes to "Bringing up
> interface eth0" it fails and says Insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused
> by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters"

> I have tried using tsetup (toshiba laptop cmos setup) to change the
> external serial port to Com2, Com3 etc and finally disabled to prevent any
> potential interrupt conflicts.  I have spent a couple of days researching
> this on the net and with my friend and still have not found an answer.  If
> anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks

> Darin

---

I dumped that card for several reasons (performance, double-boot & Win98
didn't like the second ethernet card..) so I don't guarantee the results
but I did get it to work adding to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:

   card "NetGear FA411 Fast Ethernet"
     version "NETGEAR", "FA411"
     bind "pcnet_cs"

Believe I cut&pasted this from /etc/pcmcia/config, rebooted and that did
the trick. I think I found general info about this in the pcmcia howto -
in /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/PCMCIA-HOWTO-html or at
www.linuxdoc.org.

If doing this & 'service pcmcia restart' (as root) or a reboot does not
solve the problem, you may want to try searching www.google.com with
/etc/pcmcia/config as a keyword because I also remember doing a lot of
that at the time.