Linux setup question

Post by Porsch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am currently running a stable version of Debian linux 2.0. No X window
tho.
I keep hearing alot of good things about Redhat 6.0 linux where as
easy-to-install,
and comes with alot of packages including Xwindow.

I want to use Xwindow. I wonder should I blow away my debian install and
re-install
Redhat or should I install Xwindow portion for debian and stay with debian
version?

Also I keep hearing how debian is standard where as redhat isn't.

Thanks for any reply to this.

Shane

Linux setup question

Post by Chris Butl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[comp.os.linux.setup - Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:28:36 -0700] * Porsche wrote *

Quote:> I am currently running a stable version of Debian linux 2.0. No X window
> tho.

Install the relevant xserver- package for your video card.

--
Chris Butler

1. Very basic linux setup questions

I'm running Win98 on a Pentium-II 400 with 128 megs of RAM.  I want to
install Linux, and the best way to go seems to be to stick in an old
400 Mb hard drive, wipe it, and put Linux on it.

With that in mind, I have some questions.

First, should I format the HD first, low-level format the HD, or leave
it as is and let Linux and/or the install process reformat that drive?
Should I wipe the small drive and then put DOS on it before I put Linux
on it (this seems silly, but....)?

Second, what's the best way to install Linux in this 2-drive scenario?
Should I take the Win98 HD off the cable entirely during the install?
Download Linux _to_ the Win98 drive and install to the smaller HD from
there?  Get Linux on a CD and set the machine to boot to the smaller HD
from the CD?

Third, I've been told that Linux can handle the dual-boot approach.  If
I want to have a choice between Win98 and Linux on boot up, do I have
to leave the Linux drive as the primary HD?  And does that mean I do
need to have the Win98 HD in the loop during the install?  (If it isn't
obvious, I have a ton of data on the Win98 drive that I *don't* want to
lose, though I will back it up before any of this).

Lastly, I access the internet via a DSL line that runs into a Kingston
NIC.  Will I be able to access the net in this fashion via Linux?

Thanks in advance for any info, help, suggestions, etc!

-LS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Exabyte 8200 on Asus SC200 SCSI

3. Linux setup question

4. Problem Porting Ultrix code to OSF1/4.0 564 alpha

5. Newbie running Win95 / Linux setup question..

6. Porting the Pixrect Library

7. Turn-Key Linux Vendors -- what are your experiences?

8. MINI LINUX Setup Questions

9. Newbie with Linux-setup questions

10. Red Hat Linux setup question

11. Quick Linux Setup Question...