Want to mount msdos floppies too

Post by Patric » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

This morning, I wanted to copy a file from an msdos floppy to a hdd but
found that under my present linux setup, I can't.  The problem is it
wants floppies to be ext2.  I considered changing the fstab entry for the
floppy (/dev/fp0) to filesystem msdos but balked in the end thinking that
Linux wanted it to be ext2 for purposes of being able to boot from a
floppy - but I am not certain as to the truth of this hypothesis.

Can I place two entries in fstab for my floppy?  Identical except for the
filesystem type so that I have to select what filesystem Linux should
expect when mounting a floppy?  Or is it safe and perfectly OK for me to
change the single fstab floppy entry to be msdos filesystem instead of ext2?

Is there a means to allow either/or ext2 and msdos?

patrick

Want to mount msdos floppies too

Post by E. Frank Ba » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:} This morning, I wanted to copy a file from an msdos floppy to a hdd but
} found that under my present linux setup, I can't.  The problem is it
} wants floppies to be ext2.  I considered changing the fstab entry for the
} floppy (/dev/fp0) to filesystem msdos but balked in the end thinking that
} Linux wanted it to be ext2 for purposes of being able to boot from a
} floppy - but I am not certain as to the truth of this hypothesis.
} Can I place two entries in fstab for my floppy?  Identical except for the
} filesystem type so that I have to select what filesystem Linux should
} expect when mounting a floppy?  Or is it safe and perfectly OK for me to
} change the single fstab floppy entry to be msdos filesystem instead of ext2?

It's easy.  Just mount the file system you want to use.
This is from my /etc/fstab:

/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto,user     0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/a:                 msdos   noauto,user     0 0

--

Want to mount msdos floppies too

Post by Drew Gell » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:31:05 -0600, Patrick

>This morning, I wanted to copy a file from an msdos floppy to a hdd but
>found that under my present linux setup, I can't.  The problem is it

Sure you can:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Check out the 'mount' man page.
Regards,
--

Post by James R. Bunc » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: It's easy.  Just mount the file system you want to use.
: This is from my /etc/fstab:

: /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto,user     0 0
: /dev/fd0                /mnt/a:                 msdos   noauto,user     0 0

One small addition: it's a good idea to add the "rw" flag -> "noauto,user,rw"
so you have read/write access.

--
-----------------------------
James R. Bunch         "A Byte is a terrible thing to waste ...

PGP Key available via finger
PGP Key fingerprint =  B5 31 10 77 BF B0 FD B2  10 54 CB E6 13 7C 26 58
------------------------------

Post by jw » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:31:05 -0600, Patrick

>This morning, I wanted to copy a file from an msdos floppy to a hdd but
>found that under my present linux setup, I can't.  The problem is it
>wants floppies to be ext2.  I considered changing the fstab entry for the
>floppy (/dev/fp0) to filesystem msdos but balked in the end thinking that
>Linux wanted it to be ext2 for purposes of being able to boot from a
>floppy - but I am not certain as to the truth of this hypothesis.

>Can I place two entries in fstab for my floppy?  Identical except for the
>filesystem type so that I have to select what filesystem Linux should
>expect when mounting a floppy?  Or is it safe and perfectly OK for me to
>change the single fstab floppy entry to be msdos filesystem instead of ext2?

>Is there a means to allow either/or ext2 and msdos?

>patrick

The simplest way is to use mtools, which allow you to do something
like

mcopy a:*.* /usr/local/crap/dos/

without mounting or unmounting the floppy. Likewise, mdir, mdel, mmove
etc. exist.

Most distributions should have mtools.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
Holly:  Emergency. Emergency. There's an emergency going on. It's still going
        on. It's still an emergency. This is an emergency announcement.
        Red Dwarf - 'Confidence and Paranoia'

Post by Chris Bro » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> This morning, I wanted to copy a file from an msdos floppy to a hdd but
> found that under my present linux setup, I can't.  The problem is it
> wants floppies to be ext2.  I considered changing the fstab entry for the
> floppy (/dev/fp0) to filesystem msdos but balked in the end thinking that
> Linux wanted it to be ext2 for purposes of being able to boot from a
> floppy - but I am not certain as to the truth of this hypothesis.

You should probably remove your floppy drive from your fstab in the first
place, unless you want to automatically mount it every time you boot Linux
(that's what fstab is for).

Quote:> Can I place two entries in fstab for my floppy?  Identical except for the
> filesystem type so that I have to select what filesystem Linux should
> expect when mounting a floppy?  Or is it safe and perfectly OK for me to
> change the single fstab floppy entry to be msdos filesystem instead of ext2?

You shouldn't need an fstab entry to mount a floppy. Use this command line
to mount a floppy..

mount /dev/fp0 /mnt

The syntax obviously being..

mount [devicename] [mountpoint]

Quote:> Is there a means to allow either/or ext2 and msdos?

It should automatically detect which fs to use.

--
"In chaos and riots, the screech of machines |  This space dedicated to
 No right and no wrong and no in between     |    apocalyptic hamsters.

1. mounting msdos floppy prob: vfsmount(msdos) error

Hi,

I am experiencing a major problem when trying to mount an msdos/vfat
floppy disk. I keep getting vfsmount(msdos) not found errors whenever I
do a mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy. Can anyone suggest whey I keep
getting vfs errors? And do I have to configure anything inside the
kernel for VFS?

Thanks,
Leon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. gdb support for Solaris threads.

3. how to mount msdos floppy

4. YELLOW DOG LiNuX and KDE????

5. REQ: help, simply mounting MSDOS floppy!

6. ESC2 SCSI

7. Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

8. Find and time options

9. New to Linux -- How to mount MSDOS floppy

10. preventing floppy from mounting as MSDOS (instead of VFAT)

11. REQ: help, simply mounting MSDOS floppy!

12. Mount msdos floppy