Help! Help on Modem Setup in RH6.1

Post by Ling S » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello, all,

Really appreciate if anyone can offer me some kindly advices! I have tried
it lots of times, still meet troubles. :( The story is as this, at first, I
have only one WinModem, after struggle it for some time, at last I choose to
buy a External Modem which costs me $60.0. It uses Cirrus chip, anyway, when
I ordered it on line, the website says it supports a lot. When I got it, I
found it only comes with a damn simple menu for Win98. :( Now I makes it
work in WinNT/Win98. It still has problem with Linux.
I have several simple questions, if you know the solution of one, please
give me some clue, Thanks in advance!
<1>. First, I tried "kppp", after the two initial commands, it complains "No
Carrier". I use "wvdialconf", and "wvdial", it works. But the inital
sequence is different from "/ect/wvdial.conf", how can I change Kppp's
initialization configure?
<2>. I configured the DNS, and after authorization, it connects to the
Internet. Unfortunately I feel the speed is very slow, only 300Bytes/Sec and
get "STALLed" soon. How can I observe current speed? and How can I configure
it to make it faster? It is a 56K Modem.

Help me !

Thx!

-Ling

Help! Help on Modem Setup in RH6.1

Post by Shashee Dah » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Try wvdial and wvdialconf as root.

Hope this helps.

Shashi

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 20:10:27 -0800, "Ling Su"