RedHat 4.2 install probs @ root login

Post by Sull » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I just installed RedHat 4.2 on a compaq p133.  The install goes smoothly,
asks me for a root password, but never asks for a name for the machine.
Then it reboots, looks fine, and i get to a
LOCALHOST LOGIN:
prompt.  if i type in 'root' it spits out the following rather quickly
INCORRECT LOGIN

INCORRECT LOGIN

INCORRECT LOGIN
and returns to the localhost login prompt.

i can't get to the HD at all, i have no emergency boot disks since i never
got onto the system to create them, and i've reinstalled 3 times now and
the same thing keeps happening.

can someone PLEASE help me?  nothing seems to work!

thanks.

Post by Fred Mastrippoli » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: I just installed RedHat 4.2 on a compaq p133.  The install goes smoothly,
: asks me for a root password, but never asks for a name for the machine.
: Then it reboots, looks fine, and i get to a
: LOCALHOST LOGIN:
: prompt.  if i type in 'root' it spits out the following rather quickly
: INCORRECT LOGIN
: INCORRECT LOGIN
: INCORRECT LOGIN
: and returns to the localhost login prompt.

Hmmm you should be able to download any linux distribution's rescue
disk from the internet (sunsite.unc.edu ...) and boot up type 'rescue'
and then      'mount /dev/hda2 /mnt'  (if your linux is on hda2)

and edit that.  Possibly remove the root p-word.  then try booting up
again.  hope this helps  Fred

1. Redhat 4.2 PAS16 install prob.

Hi All:

Had an older version of linux on this machine.
I would give my old linux the boot option of pas16=0x388,7
Worked OK.

Trying to install Redhat 4.2 from CD.
Everything goes OK until I get to the bit about SCSI drives.

I pick PAS16. If I try autoprobe it just hangs.
Then I try to manually add options at the screen prompt box.
I have tryed all the following.
pas16=0x388,7
=0x388,7
0x388,7
pas16=0x388,255
=0x388,255
0x388,255

It either hangs or comes right back saying the "device not found"

Thanks for your time.

Dave Watson

2. Modem Questions

3. Installing RedHat 4.2 on alphas---mounting the root and usr partitions

4. squid and paketfilter firewall - which ports?

5. Problem login Redhat 4.2 after install

6. CDE: hit wrong mouse-button when trying to blacken region

7. prob w/ bind-4.9.6-1.1 (RedHat 4.2 rpm)

8. Diskless workstation, Remote boot, Programable EPROM

9. How to install POP3 server after installed Redhat 4.2

10. Prob with S3 on Redhat 4.2

11. Sony CDU-31A Prob with 4.2 Install

12. triteal cde linux redhat 4.2 login problem