LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by Phil Martin » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi. Before I go ahead and install it, I wanted to make sure that LILO
works OK with Win95.  Right now I have Win95 installed on /dev/hda1, and
Linux on /dev/hda2 (two primary partitions on the only drive in the
system).  I can boot Linux fine using a boot disk and the command:

mount root=/dev/hda2

At the boot: prompt.  I heard (from an unreliable source) that LILO
doesn't work correctly with Win95, and I wanted to hear otherwise before
I installed it.

How dangerous is installing LILO? Is there a possibility of messing up my
Win95 setup?

Thanks in advance for any info,
--

GCS/S -d+ !p c++ u+ e+(*) m--- s-/++ n++ h-- f+ w+ t r- y?(**)
"Nestled in your wings my little one, this special morning brings another sun

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by POTT.. » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

mart4678 wrote about "LILO & Win95 OK?"

Hallo Phil,

Quote:> At the boot: prompt.  I heard (from an unreliable source) that LILO
> doesn't work correctly with Win95, and I wanted to hear otherwise
> before I installed it.

> How dangerous is installing LILO? Is there a possibility of messing up
> my Win95 setup?

I have installed linux (and lilo) on /dev/hda1 and win95 on /dev/hdb1, but
I installed win95 after linux
So far I had no problems booting win95 with lilo

BYE
        Benjamin

Fido    : 2:2448/2517.3        | *THE*    | Das 32-bit Multitasking
Fax     : +49-2054-81220       | *WHALES* | Betriebsystem fr den PC

## CrossPoint v3.1 ##

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by bcrom.. » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>At the boot: prompt.  I heard (from an unreliable source) that LILO
>doesn't work correctly with Win95, and I wanted to hear otherwise before
>I installed it.

Wrong!!!!!

Quote:>How dangerous is installing LILO? Is there a possibility of messing up my
>Win95 setup?

No problem!  I have the exact same stuff on my machine now; Windows 95 on hda1 and Linux on hda2.  The only problem that you will find is that if you have to reinstall Windows 95 for any reason you will also have to reinstall lilo
because Windows 95 does not like boot managers like lilo and OS/2's
bootmanager. Hey if you are really nuts try this...put windows 95, OS/2, and linux on your system at the same time.  I know there is not much reason to do this, but I thought it would be a feat.  hint: you have to use bootmanager instead of lilo.

later.
Chris

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by Adrian Kok Kah Hi » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi. Before I go ahead and install it, I wanted to make sure that LILO
> works OK with Win95.  Right now I have Win95 installed on /dev/hda1, and
> Linux on /dev/hda2 (two primary partitions on the only drive in the
> system).  I can boot Linux fine using a boot disk and the command:

> mount root=/dev/hda2

> At the boot: prompt.  I heard (from an unreliable source) that LILO
> doesn't work correctly with Win95, and I wanted to hear otherwise before
> I installed it.

Well the problem is that Win95 overwrites the Master Boot Record
during installation. When that happens, all you have to do is to
reinstall into your MBR.

If you're booting with a floppy, it doesn't make a difference. I've
been running both OS's for a couple of months without any problems
using Slackware 2.1 and (later) 3.0

--
/----------------------------------------------------------------------\

| Software Engineer           | Telephone: +65 - 870 2833              |
| Mentor Graphics, Singapore  |                                        |

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by id_e » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Hey if you are really nuts try this...put windows 95, OS/2, and linux on

your system at the same time.  I know there is not much reason to do this,
but I thought it would be a feat.  hint: you have to use bootmanager
instead of lilo.

Hey! I did that and i don't think I am nuts. I also have Win 3.1 and a
partition reserved for Win NT (I also have a Mac...just to have all the
bases covered). For what its worth.  don't use the bootmanager. The
biggest hassle is getting W95 adn W3.1 to run at the the same time because
95 doesn't seem to like 3.11 very much. I have Linux on hdb2 (hdb1 is the
linux swap) and OS/2 on hdb3, Win 3.1 is on hda1 and w95 is on hda2. OS/2
needs the bootmanger to set up partitions so you can install it but that's
it. LILO will take care of booting OS/2 after that (I have even deleted
the boot manager partition and it works fine). The interesting thing is
what the various OS's can see. Linux can see everything. Windows 95 (and
3.11) see hda1,hda2,and hda3 as C, D and E. OS/2 sees hdb3 as D and hda1
as C and thats it (all the the hda partitions are msdos primary
partitions). It all works. Windows can be set up to offer a double boot
option for 3.11 or 95 but this is a hassle. I just use OS/2 to do 3.11
stuff as it is simpler. Still lots of paths to be fixed that W95 felt it
just had to change. If lilo is told to boot off of hda1 (the 3.11
partition) it boots into 95. if it is told to boot of of hda2 (the W95
partition) it gives a non system disk error. My first impressions of
Windows 95 (I have only had it for a few days) is that it is pretty close
to braindead. I mean updating the OS killed half of the old installed
programs from 3.11 (paths need to be reset) and never mind the install
fiasco that left windows thinking it had a swedish modem and was located
in Uzbekistan!

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by Myung Cho » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I currently have the following configuration:

486DX2
IDE HD (Maxtor 540)/CDROM(Creative X2)
12 RAM
S3 video card
Win 95

Trying to install (non-partitioned)Linux from CD, I copied "IDECD" as
boot disk and "umsdos" to 1.44 as root disk.  Booting off these two
disks, I was unable to mount my CD drive under setup.  "Source" menu
does not detect my CD Drive which prevents the installation.  Any
information in correcting this problem will be appreciated.  Thank you.

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by Raphael Wegma » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I currently have the following configuration:

: 486DX2
: IDE HD (Maxtor 540)/CDROM(Creative X2)
: 12 RAM
: S3 video card
: Win 95

: Trying to install (non-partitioned)Linux from CD, I copied "IDECD" as
: boot disk and "umsdos" to 1.44 as root disk.  Booting off these two
: disks, I was unable to mount my CD drive under setup.  "Source" menu
: does not detect my CD Drive which prevents the installation.  Any
: information in correcting this problem will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Maybe idecd is just the wrong image. Do u have a soundcard-cdrom?
Read the text-files in the dir where u found idecd.

--

        phone: 0043-222-8763850         snail: Adolfstorgasse 2a/1, A-1130 Wien

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by Steve Flin » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I currently have the following configuration:

> 486DX2
> IDE HD (Maxtor 540)/CDROM(Creative X2)
> 12 RAM
> S3 video card
> Win 95

> Trying to install (non-partitioned)Linux from CD, I copied "IDECD" as
> boot disk and "umsdos" to 1.44 as root disk.  Booting off these two
> disks, I was unable to mount my CD drive under setup.  "Source" menu
> does not detect my CD Drive which prevents the installation.  Any
> information in correcting this problem will be appreciated.  Thank you.

I read this about 50 articles up, maybe it will help:

I finally got Linux (Slackware 1.2.8) to recognise my CD drive after
scanning this (and most of the other Linux use-groups) for every
article concerning CD-ROMS.
The CD-ROM was the only device on the 2nd IDE connector and was
strapped as 'SLAVE' , I changed this strapping to 'MASTER' and bingo -
Linux saw it as soon ass I booted.
I can't remember who posted the article but thanks.

Ken Riley
"Rule 6 - there is no rule 6"

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by gval.. » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>: Trying to install (non-partitioned)Linux from CD, I copied "IDECD" as
>: boot disk and "umsdos" to 1.44 as root disk.  Booting off these two
>: disks, I was unable to mount my CD drive under setup.  "Source" menu
>: does not detect my CD Drive which prevents the installation.  Any
>: information in correcting this problem will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Hello all!
I have the same problem as describe in the original message.
What I've notice is that during the "Loading ramdisk" process of the Bootkernell
disk, I have these messages:

        ide0 = irq14
        mcd = 0x300, 10 : init failed. No mcd device at 0x300, irq 10.

Now I know that my 2x Mitsumi Cdrom is attached to my HD and sharing the
same irq14.
Is this the source of my problem and if it is, how do I make the boot process to
recognize my Cdrom on irq14 instead of irq10 ?
Do I have to recompile the bootkernel disk?
Any help would be appreciated.  I'm totally new to Linux.

Gilles Valade
-----------

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by Schumak » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Installing from CDROM  problem......HELP!
>Date: 27 Dec 1995 20:02:25 GMT
>>: Trying to install (non-partitioned)Linux from CD, I copied "IDECD" as
>>: boot disk and "umsdos" to 1.44 as root disk.  Booting off these two
>>: disks, I was unable to mount my CD drive under setup.  "Source" menu
>>: does not detect my CD Drive which prevents the installation.  Any
>>: information in correcting this problem will be appreciated.  Thank you.

>Hello all!
>I have the same problem as describe in the original message.
>What I've notice is that during the "Loading ramdisk" process of the Bootkernell
>disk, I have these messages:
>        ide0 = irq14
>        mcd = 0x300, 10 : init failed. No mcd device at 0x300, irq 10.
>Now I know that my 2x Mitsumi Cdrom is attached to my HD and sharing the
>same irq14.
>Is this the source of my problem and if it is, how do I make the boot process to
>recognize my Cdrom on irq14 instead of irq10 ?
>Do I have to recompile the bootkernel disk?
>Any help would be appreciated.  I'm totally new to Linux.
>Gilles Valade
>-----------

at the begining type ramdisk mcd=adrress,irq

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by Steffen Offerma » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

27 Dec 95 20:02, gvalade wrote to All:

 g> What I've notice is that during the "Loading ramdisk" process of
 g> the Bootkernell disk, I have these messages:

 g>     ide0 = irq14
 g>     mcd = 0x300, 10 : init failed. No mcd device at 0x300, irq
 g> 10.

 g> Now I know that my 2x Mitsumi Cdrom is attached to my HD and
 g> sharing the same irq14. Is this the source of my problem and if
 g> it is, how do I make the boot process to recognize my Cdrom on
 g> irq14 instead of irq10 ? Do I have to recompile the bootkernel
 g> disk? Any help would be appreciated.  I'm totally new to Linux.

Read the information that is displayed when you boot from your
Slackware boot disk. It says that you may enter special boot
parameters. Try "mcd=0x300, 14", I think that should work.

Tschuess,
  Steffen

LILO & Win95 OK?

Post by Chopi » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

  I find it hard to believe a 2X Mitsumi is installed as a hard drive. The
2X Mitsumi's need a proprietary interface card, be it it's own card, or a
connection to a sound card that has a the necessary electronics to
implement the proprietary interface.
   Having said that....during the Slackware bootup, to force the
recognition of a 2X Mitsumi that is not at the default location ( IRQ 11 ?
Base address 300 ? ), one would type
  #ramdisk mcd=address,irq
  In my case
  #ramdisk mcd=0x340,10.

This problem is common on this newsgroup.  The documentation should be
cleared on this, I guess.

1. LILO+BM+Win95 mostly ok, 2nd LILO hosed by booting Linux?

(Okay, the Subject: line sucks.  Whatever.)

So here's the story: my system boots into the OS/2 boot manager; from
there I can select DOS 6.22, OS/2 Warp, Win95, or Linux (and I'd have
FreeBSD 2.1 on there if it supported extended DOS partitions).  Here's
the trouble: this is on two 2GB hard drives, with all but Win95 on the
first.

To boot the second, I can't use Boot Manager, because it doesn't do LILO's
wonderful trick of switching the C: and D: drives.  So I have the boot
manager invoke a copy of LILO installed on a dead partition, which has
a default setting to boot Win95.

Here's the problem: LILO lives in the first part of two different
partitions, not the MBR, since I want to boot into BM, not LILO (face it,
LILO hasn't got much of a UI).  I use it on Linux to switch kernels when
something hoses, and on an otherwise empty partition on D: to boot Win95.

Whenever I boot Linux though, it rebuilds a data file, and I end up
with "LIL-" (hang) the next time I try to boot Win95.  For some reason
LILO is referring to files back on the other drive, probably because
that's what I booted up on when I installed LILO.

I looked through the LILO docs, and have some idea of why this is
happening, but have no clue what to do about it.  I either need to prevent
LILO from reconstructing the data file, or find an alternate way to boot
Win95 (right now I just launch Linux, and tell LILO to boot Win95
instead).

I'm using the last 2.x slackware release.

(Hmm... I guess I could install LILO on the D: drive as well, but I was
hoping to put FreeBSD there... do LILO and FreeBSD work together?  Sorry,
but the latency in the Linux serial drivers isn't acceptable for what I'm
trying to do, otherwise I'd just use Linux.)

--

      Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is
        supposed to be doing at the moment.        -- Robert Benchley

2. Solaris sendmail - what is Rule 33 for?

3. LILO & win95 & dos & Linux

4. iptables port forwardingg help

5. BOOTING LINUX && WIN95 WITH LILO?

6. S.u.S.E. 5.3 /YaST installation error . Help!

7. LILO & Win95 & DOS

8. linux for performa 52xx

9. FIPS, win95 and win95 defrag. ok?

10. serial console: LILO+getty ok, kernel not ok

11. Win95 <-> Linux ok | Linux <-> Internet ok | Win95 <-> Linux <-> Internet NOT ok!

12. ppp ok, nslookup ok, but telnet&ftp need #