Linux SMTP/W98 Setup

Post by unixma » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I am about to pull my damn hair out on this one.

I have a RH6.0 box up and running with a live connection to the net.
Everything seems to work fine, and rightly so, as I consider myself a
fairly advanced UNIX developer.  Of course, then there's friggin'
Windows 98 - the bane of my existence right now.

I connect to the POP3 server on the Linux box for mail.  No problem.  I
can receive mail just fine (using a variety of clients including
Communicator and Eudora).  The problem is when I try to send mail out.
It works sometimes - but after a while, things just sort of "hang".

In fact, while I can perform regular telnets to the Linux box (even on
custom user ports where I have some other apps running), when I try to
telnet to the SMTP port, it just sits there like a damn knot on a log.
Nothing in syslog, nothing reported on netstat.  Of course, everything
works fine from the console, just remote clients.  I can hit our httpd
daemon, regular telnet, ftp, everything.  It just seems to have problems
connecting to the SMTP port (sendmail running on 25).

My Windows setup is typical.  My outgoing SMTP hostname is correct (I've
even tried using the IP).

Has ANYONE seen this?  I'm about to throw this damn thing out the window
and dive out after it!

Linux SMTP/W98 Setup

Post by Nicholas E Couchma » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It isn't a Wintel problem on this one, I don't think, so don't totaly trash
Win98 (although 98 is just a cheap scam by Microsoft to get you to use
Internet Explorer, which is why I'm sticking with 95 or NT 4).  It sounds
like your SMTP server (I would guess sendmail?) is having a problem.  There
is some line you need to add to the syslog.conf (whatever its called) to
make syslog do logging for certain daemons.  I can't remembe what the line
is, but there is some way to forward all messages from inetd to your
console.  It sound more like Linux is acting up than 98.
--Nick

> Ok, I am about to pull my damn hair out on this one.

> I have a RH6.0 box up and running with a live connection to the net.
> Everything seems to work fine, and rightly so, as I consider myself a
> fairly advanced UNIX developer.  Of course, then there's friggin'
> Windows 98 - the bane of my existence right now.

> I connect to the POP3 server on the Linux box for mail.  No problem.  I
> can receive mail just fine (using a variety of clients including
> Communicator and Eudora).  The problem is when I try to send mail out.
> It works sometimes - but after a while, things just sort of "hang".

> In fact, while I can perform regular telnets to the Linux box (even on
> custom user ports where I have some other apps running), when I try to
> telnet to the SMTP port, it just sits there like a damn knot on a log.
> Nothing in syslog, nothing reported on netstat.  Of course, everything
> works fine from the console, just remote clients.  I can hit our httpd
> daemon, regular telnet, ftp, everything.  It just seems to have problems
> connecting to the SMTP port (sendmail running on 25).

> My Windows setup is typical.  My outgoing SMTP hostname is correct (I've
> even tried using the IP).

> Has ANYONE seen this?  I'm about to throw this damn thing out the window
> and dive out after it!

Linux SMTP/W98 Setup

Post by Tom Hol » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

)
)In fact, while I can perform regular telnets to the Linux box (even on
)custom user ports where I have some other apps running), when I try to
)telnet to the SMTP port, it just sits there like a damn knot on a log.
)Nothing in syslog, nothing reported on netstat.  Of course, everything
)works fine from the console, just remote clients.  I can hit our httpd
)daemon, regular telnet, ftp, everything.  It just seems to have problems
)connecting to the SMTP port (sendmail running on 25).

The sendmail daemon will try to do a reverse lookup on the IP address
you're connecting from when you first connect; make sure that the linux
box either has that IP address in its /etc/hosts file or can look it
up from DNS (try nslookup <ipaddress> from the command line).

sendmail may also be trying to look up its own name; you might be able to
speed that up by setting the Dj macro in /etc/sendmail.cf.
 -Tom

Linux SMTP/W98 Setup

Post by unixma » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the response, Tom - the IP resolves fine through our DNS.  Time to
break out the bourbon....er, I mean coffee.  Gonna be a long night... :-(