SunSparc2 Idiot newbie questions

Post by Jon Rous » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have an old SunSparc2 with the following hardware: 32Mb memory,
2 x16Mb Memory upgrade, 424Mbyte internal disk drive, 144Mb 3.5" internal
SCSI
disk drive, 1.04 Gbyte external SCSI disk drive, 644 Mbyte desktop CD ROM
pack, 8 Gbyte 8mm tape desktop backup kit, 150 Mbyte 1/4" tape desktop tape
backup kit, running SunOS 4.1.3 and OpenWindows version 3 with Sun 4m
supplement for Solaris 1.1 version A. I can't get a modem running on it, and
it hasn't got a network connection..

The equipment is surplus to requirements as its not Y2K compatible, and we
were wondering if it would be suitable as a Linux platform?

If so, where do I start. I can download files form the web to my DOS
machine, and copy floppies across. There may even be a chance I could borrow
a Linux CD. Problem is I can't find out what the vital first step is.

--
The views expressed are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.

SunSparc2 Idiot newbie questions

Post by Frank Ha » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an old SunSparc2 with the following hardware: 32Mb memory,
>2 x16Mb Memory upgrade, 424Mbyte internal disk drive, 144Mb 3.5" internal
>SCSI disk drive, 1.04 Gbyte external SCSI disk drive, 644 Mbyte desktop
>CD ROM pack, 8 Gbyte 8mm tape desktop backup kit, 150 Mbyte 1/4" tape
>desktop tape backup kit, running SunOS 4.1.3 and OpenWindows version 3
>with Sun 4m supplement for Solaris 1.1 version A. I can't get a modem
>running on it, and it hasn't got a network connection..

Just for your information, if you want to install a modem on the
above with either SunOS or Solaris, your best bet is to go to:

http://www.stokely.com

You can find a couple of papers here on how to setup a modem on a
Sun system.

Quote:>The equipment is surplus to requirements as its not Y2K compatible, and we
>were wondering if it would be suitable as a Linux platform?

>If so, where do I start. I can download files form the web to my DOS
>machine, and copy floppies across. There may even be a chance I could borrow
>a Linux CD. Problem is I can't find out what the vital first step is.

I believe there are at least three Linux Sparc distributions.  There
is Redhat, Debian, and one called UltraPenguin.  I know Debian has
a document on how to install there Sparc version.  Redhat probably
does to.  A look around their web pages should find them.

Obviously, the best route is to install from a CD.  From above, it
looks as if you have a CD drive.  I know that Cheapbytes sells at
least the Redhat and Debian versions on CD.  Their web address is:

http://www.cheapbytes.com

--
Frank Hahn

Chicago, n.:
        Where the dead still vote ... early and often!

1. IDIOT NEWBIE QUESTION : kppp and other users

Everytime I attempt to run kppp as a user other than root, it barfs
this message out at me : "Must be root to run pppd since it is not
setuid-root".

I read about a similar problem in this group and tried the solution
there
(solution being "chmod s+u /usr/bin/kppp (which returned an error) *
chmod 755 /dev/ttyS1 * chmod 755 /var/lock")

 but still can't get the thing to work.  What am I doing wrong ?
MEMBER, FLAT EARTH SOCIETY   | http://bleechworld.cjb.net
To e-mail me, nevermind the BOLLOCKS | FERRIGNO IN '00

"You got your Jesus in my peanut butter !"  "You got your peanut butter in my Jesus !"

Floyd Code : v1.2a r BO 0/0/r tinG 0- 0 Animals/WYWH 17 87 18.2% <19aug99>

2. Now I Understand

3. idiot newbie question on kppp

4. Dialin PPP catching SIGHUP?

5. An idiot newbie question, regarding gcc.

6. How to tell available Hard Disk space

7. Another idiot newbie question

8. No CTRL-C in xterm?!

9. Total Idiot Newbie Questions

10. idiot newbie questions

11. monitor probs from idiot newbie

12. Idiot newbie having ISP connectivity probs..

13. A firewall for idiots? (newbie alert)