FIPS problems with vfat filesystem

Post by Roger » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

When I try to split a 3 Gb hardisk with an existing Win95
installation I get into problems. When I read the info
about the partition split program FIPS that is included
in most Linux distributions, it looks like FIPS can be
used also to split a Win95 formatted parititon.
However I get the message:
"Error: Unknown Filesystem 0Bh
Only Dos Partitions can be split (system indicator byte
must be 4 or 6)"
Is it possible at all to split a Windows 95 filesystem
partition with any version of FIPS or any other program
I should be happy to know!

FIPS problems with vfat filesystem

Post by Guglielmo Alfier » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

uhm...windoze...it looks like a FAT32 partition
the only way to use it is:
1) Erase windoze from your HD
2) Use Partition Magic or other tool that handles FAT32 partitions

1 is better but is likely you'll try 2
cheers

guglielmo alfieri

> When I try to split a 3 Gb hardisk with an existing Win95
> installation I get into problems. When I read the info
> about the partition split program FIPS that is included
> in most Linux distributions, it looks like FIPS can be
> used also to split a Win95 formatted parititon.
> However I get the message:
> "Error: Unknown Filesystem 0Bh
> Only Dos Partitions can be split (system indicator byte
> must be 4 or 6)"
> Is it possible at all to split a Windows 95 filesystem
> partition with any version of FIPS or any other program
> I should be happy to know!

1. Copy of large file from ext2 to vfat corrupts vfat filesystem.

Hello

I don't know if I this is the right group for this but ..., please
point me in the right direction if not.

After I copied a large file (52223944 bytes) from my ext2 filesystem
to my vfat filesystem I noticed the vfat filesystem was trashed.
A ls -l in the toplevel of the vfat filesystem returned mostly
strange characters. I booted DOS, used fdisk to make 2 partions on
the disk (I'm using a separate disk for DOS/Windows95) and formatted
them. Then I booted linux and copied the file to the second DOS
partition (d:) and the first partition (c:) was trashed again.

I'm using slackware 3.1 with 2.1.17, ncr53c810 driver ported from BSD
with tagged command queuing enabled (my linux disk support this).

Michael

Just using DOS/Windows95 for playing games.

2. licq & gnome

3. Help! VFAT filesystem - write permission problems.

4. CD-ROM/HD Space

5. VFAT filesystem problem

6. format of /etc/ftpaccess ???

7. Problem creating VFAT filesystem