video card advice

Post by Damon M. Conwa » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

hi-
i am about to embark on a video card purchasing adventure and was
wondering which card was recommended for use with linux.  i will be
getting a pci card in a pentium 133 or 166( i haven't bought the chip
yet).  any advice is greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance.

nomad

video card advice

Post by John V. Shield » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> hi-
> i am about to embark on a video card purchasing adventure and was
> wondering which card was recommended for use with linux.  i will be
> getting a pci card in a pentium 133 or 166( i haven't bought the chip
> yet).  any advice is greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance.

> nomad

Hidy-ho Neighbor Nomad,

Stay with the standards for your video card unless
you want to purchase additional server packages for
X-windows.  Diamond cards (most of them anyway) are
good.  Matrox is going to require the purchase of
additional software but it is a rocking card!  If
in doubt call the card manufacturer and ask them if
they have a Linux driver (most don't).  ATI is
another good choice for compatibility.  Check the
documentation with your distribution of Linux for
supported video cards.  If you don't run X-windows
almost any card will do just fine.  Hope this
helps.

Ntoxic8ed

1. WTD: Sound card/video card advice

I'm currently looking at building a computer for linux/windows dual boot. It
will be primarily used for linux, but I will be booting into windows for
games/DVD.

I would like to have a good 3D card for games, and that is also supported
with linux. I will be running RH 6.0. I was initially planning on getting a
rage 128 and a SB live, but after reading about the problems some people are
having getting them to work, I don't think I'm up for that much work. (I'm a
bit of a newbie to linux)

anyhow, and help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Terrell Smith

2. Can't compile kernel 2.1.21!

3. Video Card Advice

4. Checking 386/387 coupling...

5. Looking for PCI video card advice

6. Increasing RAID disk size w/ existing EXT2 file system

7. Video Card Advice

8. Getting modem to answer in originate mode

9. Video card advice for a new Linux system

10. Video card advice

11. Seeking video card advice

12. PCI Video card advice

13. Need Video Card Advice for Red Hat 6.0