HELP: misc. help wanted.

Post by Tsai Chi Hua » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi, I think I got my S3 Vision 864 problem solved.

THank you to all that have helped me to get such
beast running.

What I had to do was to set clockchip to "s3_sdac"
and specify a clock speed.  However, I couldn't
use anything greater than 95.  Therefore, at a high
screen resolution of 1024x1280, it needs to go interlace
mode.  Clock speed at 95 or below run the 1024x1280
resolution gave the screen a flickering display
which made my eyes very uncomfortable.  Do you know
that if clock speed 95 is the hardware limit of my
vedio board (s3 vision 864) or linux just probe it
wrong.

Also, I need to set a background of my x display.
I've used xsetroot command and tried to grab a file
which was generated by xv tool.  I noticed that
xrootset only takes bitmap file.  However, it can't
read *.bmp file xv generated.  I tried to use X11 bmp
generated by xv instead, however, the picture turned out
b/w. Is there any other utility that I can use
to generate the backgroud picture eg. Xloadimage, etc.
I would like to put it in my xinit file so it would auto
load the picture everytime I start X.

Last thing, on my dos mount directory, /dosc, I can
pretty much read and write dos files using cp command
as the root user.  If I were regular user, I can't
cp file to /dosc.  I've looked at the file mode and
I noticed that all files in /dosc are

        -rwxr-xr-x     root

I have tried "chmod -R 777 *" at /dosc as a root.
Linux took without complain nor linux change the
mode.  How can I change the mode of dos files so
a regular user can cp file to the directory in /dosc.
Btw, /dosc was mount with flag -o rw.

-- pepe

 Tsai Chi Huang
 Computer Engineering Research Laboratory / Georgia Tech

HELP: misc. help wanted.

Post by Richard Sta » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

[other questions deleted]

Quote:

>I noticed that all files in /dosc are

>    -rwxr-xr-x     root

>I have tried "chmod -R 777 *" at /dosc as a root.
>Linux took without complain nor linux change the
>mode.  How can I change the mode of dos files so
>a regular user can cp file to the directory in /dosc.
>Btw, /dosc was mount with flag -o rw.

Because the MS-DOS filesystem doesn't support the same
permissions as a UNIX filesystem, you can't change
the permissions on /dosc using the chmod command.
Instead, you have to use options to the mount command.

The option 'uid=<number>' will make the /dosc directory
and all the files in it "owned" by the user corresponsing
to the user number.  Similarly, 'gid=<number>' will make
it owned by the specified group.  Unfortunately, you
have to use the user and group numbers; the names won't
do.  If you don't know the number corresponding to a
user or group name, look in /etc/passwd and /etc/group
respectively.

That deals with the ownership; to deal with the permissions,
you have to do a bit of black magic.  The 'umask=<number>'
option of mount sets the umask for all the files in the
filesystem.  Essentially, the permissions will become the
inverse of the umask, so if you really want the permission
to be 777 you need to set the umask to 000.  However, I
suggest it is much more sensible to create a group of
trusted users who can access the DOS partition, and make
the partition owned by that group.  Then, a umask of 007
will make the partition readable, writable and executable
by members of that group and inaccessible to anybody else.
Alternatively, a umask of 002 would make the partition
readable and executable, but not writable, by non-members
of the group.

To tie it all together: my DOS partition is /dev/hda1, and
I have the following line in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1    /dosc    msdos    defaults,gid=101,umask=007,noexec

This means that the partition is readable, writable and
executable by members of group 101; nobody else has any
permissions.  There's no 'uid' field, so it remains owned
by root.  The 'noexec' field just stops Linux trying to
execute binaries off my DOS partition (you can't do this
by turning off the execute permissions, because then you
wouldn't be able to search the directories!)

The equivalent mount command would be:

mount /dev/hda1 /dosc -t msdos -o defaults,gid=101,umask=007,noexec

The mount command has some other options appertaining to the
MS-DOS filesystem, which you might want to look into -
'man mount' for details.

Hope this tells you what you need to know.

Regards,
Richard
--
Richard Stamp, Churchill College, Cambridge CB3 0DS
Telephone: (CU Network) 31556; (BT) Cambridge 01223 331556

1. misc crontab uses wanted & backup help

I am running Sco5.

First, I am interested in any uses for the crontab command. Specific
procedures greatly appreciated. (ie controlling afterhour logins, etc.)

Second, I use the crontab command to run a backup file everynight.  Normally
when the file is run from #, it list all the files backup up. By using
crontab to run the file, my office manager doesnt know if files were backup
up, because she returns to the same blank screen in the morning. is there a
way to list the files on the console as they are backup up overnight when
using crontab?

thanks in advance.

2. vi filename, error

3. Why are these requests for help in .misc, not .help???

4. New Machine Check problem

5. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

6. Where is XFconfig?!

7. help help help help help help

8. Linux system

9. HELP WANTED: Open Source Consultant Programmer wanted for quick project

10. WANTED: Quake hosting help wanted...

11. Xaw scrollbars within dialog box widgets HELP:HELP:HELP:HELP:HELP:

12. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

13. Misc: need help with f2c, audio drivers, missing libs, quitting X